Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5985 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 31 October 2019 - 18:55

I have a student - now discontinued lessons - whose parent owes me money. It's not a large amount, but is for two lessons taken in September. I've sent the parent two email reminders; no reply to the first, and the reply to the second said it that it would be paid this week. Nothing so far. How long should I give them?

#2 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4056 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 31 October 2019 - 19:01

Maybe they get paid on Fridays?

#3 KathyB

KathyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Member: 487205

Posted 31 October 2019 - 20:05

I’d say chase on Monday if nothing by then

#4 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 31 October 2019 - 20:15

Do you have leverage with them? A contract? If lessons have terminated, they have no reason to keep you happy and they may simply neglect to pay. Or to respond. It does happen.

#5 Yet another muso

Yet another muso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Member: 103420

Posted 31 October 2019 - 20:44

No cause for panic yet, it is still this week!

I think I would probably contact again in the middle of next week if still nothing by then. 

I have only one pupil who takes about 4 reminders for every payment. One of the latest excuses for late payment was the death of their pet rabbit.

#6 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 31 October 2019 - 21:36

I'd get back in touch on Monday morning with them if there's still nothing been paid and politely remind them that they said it would be paid by last week.  It's infuriating and I've had this a good few times in the past.  Hopefully they'll be decent people and pay you, but unfortunately there seems to be more and more folk these days wanting something for nothing and their conscience doesn't seem to trouble them.  

#7 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 31 October 2019 - 21:53

If they don't pay I would mention small claims. No one wants a CCJ against them.

#8 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5985 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 01 November 2019 - 00:23

Many thanks for the replies. I will get in touch again on Monday if nothing happens by then. The irksome thing is, these fees have been outstanding since September. It's now November, and I think enough is enough. I don't suppose the parents of this particular ex-pupil would think much of having to wait 6 weeks to be paid.

Ten left thumbs: Yes, I have a signed contract, so at least I am covered in that respect. I'm sure I could approach the ISM for advice too as I'm a member, if the need should arise. I couldn't help wondering myself if they were hoping I would just let it go if they left it long enough.

Ma non troppo: The outstanding amount probably wouldn't be worth taking to the Small Claims Court - but please could you explain what a CCJ is?

#9 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:00

" County Court Judgment (CCJ) is a type of court order in England, Wales and Northern Ireland that might be registered against you if you fail to repay money you owe"

My understanding is that this affects your credit score and is like a black mark against your name when searched.

#10 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7841 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:28

My brother used small claims against one of the computer chains in England.  It was for a small amount - only I think about $15. When he informed them they paid up at once. So they did have something to be anxious about and it never actually got to any court. Just a gentle threat might work.

#11 Lucid

Lucid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Member: 23721
  • UK

Posted 01 November 2019 - 20:20

I've very occasionally had to write an email to former students/parents to say that if I don't receive payment by X date then I will have no choice but to forward the case on to the MU for them to deal with. They always pay pretty promptly after that. 

Lucid :)

#12 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1270 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 01 November 2019 - 20:31

Dear Mr & Mrs X,

We note with regret that payment for your offspring's last two music lessons has not yet been received. This letter is therefore to introduce our agent, Schrieksla von Zahnschmertz, who will kindly remain with you, together with her troupe of very small recorder players, "The Sopraninos". Please don't worry about feeding them, they can keep going 24/7 for weeks without nutrition. We do most earnestly hope Frau von Zahnschmertz will be of assistance in overcoming any payment difficulties you may be experiencing, but failing this, you are also most welcome to return any unused musical knowledge by next Tuesday at the latest.

Chordially yours,

#13 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5985 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 02 November 2019 - 13:50

They've paid - at last!   :)

I've very occasionally had to write an email to former students/parents to say that if I don't receive payment by X date then I will have no choice but to forward the case on to the MU for them to deal with. They always pay pretty promptly after that. 

Lucid :)

Thanks for this, Lucid. It's a good way of putting it and I will store it up for future use.

Dear Mr & Mrs X,

We note with regret that payment for your offspring's last two music lessons has not yet been received. This letter is therefore to introduce our agent, Schrieksla von Zahnschmertz, who will kindly remain with you, together with her troupe of very small recorder players, "The Sopraninos". Please don't worry about feeding them, they can keep going 24/7 for weeks without nutrition. We do most earnestly hope Frau von Zahnschmertz will be of assistance in overcoming any payment difficulties you may be experiencing, but failing this, you are also most welcome to return any unused musical knowledge by next Tuesday at the latest.

Chordially yours,

This is wonderful!  :lol:

#14 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4056 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 02 November 2019 - 13:55

Glad you didn't have to progress things further.