Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Member: 266661
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 30 October 2019 - 19:11

Hi

Not sure if is the right place to ask, but you never know!

I need to be able to identify the 3 chords leading to a cadence. I can, generally, identify the cadence and then figure out the possible 2 final chords. However, I’m struggling to be able to figure out the 1st. So, I know plagel will end IV-I but can’t always figure out what chord could lead to this. Does anyone know any good resources to help me with this? I’ve looked on YouTube but everything seems to talk about the final 2 chords and I need more than that.

Help!

Gemmasue

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3758 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 30 October 2019 - 19:32

It's very well explained in the Aural Training in Practice Book grade 6-8, which comes with CDs. It explains the options and how you can identify the chord by listening to the bass note.

#3 SparkysMagicPiano

SparkysMagicPiano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Member: 546536

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:44

I did my G8 piano in the summer and found this the hardest part of the aural tests by a very long way, so you have my sympathy!

- Firstly I learnt every sequence that could possibly crop up - there aren't an unlimited number of these.

- Secondly I learnt when to expect chords to be minor and when major, as this can be the clue which points you in the right direction.

- Thirdly I would listen for the bass note and work it out from there.

My biggest problem was that I couldn't register what the bass note was and work out which chord it was as fast as my teacher and the examiner expected - I needed about three times as long as they were prepared to give me. I could do it but just not that fast!

Another solution is to try to learn the 'sound' of different chord progressions - so you instantly know what they are. I didn't feel I had enough weeks of prep for the exam to settle in to learn this but in an ideal world I would have done.

#4 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 04 November 2019 - 15:22

Some good advice from Sparky.

I have a confession to make: this is the one thing I missed in my G8 aural!  I correctly identified the last two chords of the cadence, but I misidentified the first one.  To me, that was the hardest aspect of the aural exam!  But it only cost me one point - I must have sounded confident in my misidentification.  (I also made one sight-singing slip-up that cost me another point.)

#5 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1811 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 05 November 2019 - 14:15

I find that most people get that chord wrong in the exam -- unless they make a lucky guess.  I even had a mature pupil with jazz experience who always got it right in the lesson but still missed it in the exam! 

I found that people who took the old Rockschool Grade syllabus were much better at identifying chords than those doing ABRSM because it was part of the aural from the beginning.  Not sure about the current Rockschool syllabus as most of my candidates choose to take the Performance exams now.

#6 gemmasue

gemmasue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Member: 266661
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 05 November 2019 - 17:16

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I feel better knowing I’m not the only who struggles with this! If I do get it right, I think it’ll definitely be a case of lucky guess.