8 replies to this topic

#1 Djj

Djj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Member: 899916

Posted 21 October 2019 - 15:40

Has anyone any recommendations for piano books for a 9 year old dyslexic student.
Thanks

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3694 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 21 October 2019 - 15:58

I have taught quite a few dyslexic children and found that they coped with the standard piano books I use. Assuming she's a beginner, Tunes for ten fingers is very clear. The Piano Adventures Primer book has slightly larger notes so might be better .

#3 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:54

I would go with Piano Adventures because it introduces one thing at a time and when meeting child and parent for the first time I would show them the MFPA series as well as the Primer.  Although the 'My First' series is aimed at younger children I find older but slower readers often choose it as it looks less threatening.  It also allows the teacher more time to fit in writing and listening activities while you try to figure out how best to help.

#4 anonymousalto

anonymousalto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Member: 887475
  • South West

Posted 02 November 2019 - 13:53

I've used Sharon Goodey's 'Playing with colour' books 2&3 with a dyslexic pupil, he found the early tutor book he had (I think it was Me and my piano) ok, but struggled when he was putting hands together. The colours helped him to make music more easily.

#5 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5954 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 02 November 2019 - 13:59

I've found coloured overlays seem to help with some dyslexic students.

Like agricola, I would tend to go with PA, and be ready with lots of repetition and musical games to help. I often print off a set of flash cards for younger beginners, and they seem to help a lot.

#6 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 02 November 2019 - 15:35

My only current dyslexic pupil used piano adventures and tunes for ten fingers - two very different books, but they work well alongside each other as they introduce notes in almost the same order, and she needed more practice than one book alone could give. She's now doing accelerated piano adventures 2 and adult pop book 1, with some additional pieces from other books from time to time.

#7 thara96

thara96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:15

What about flashcards? Will they help? 

#8 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 04 November 2019 - 15:18

I am dyslexic.  My teacher used Edna Mae Burnam's Step By Step with me.  I suppose it's considered old fashioned now, but it worked very well for me.  Now that I'm a teacher myself, I have used it with some dyslexic students with success.

#9 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1374 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2019 - 16:00

I am intrigued to know the typical depth and breadth of teachers' thorough understanding of dyslexia and associated conditions, i.e. evidence-based best practices and latest from the literature on pathophysiology, genetics, epidemiology, neurology, orthographics, diagnosis assessments and statements, neurodynamics etc.

Or is it more a case of a basic knowledge/past experience together with anecdotes from colleagues/CPD courses with a 'suck-it-and-see' approach trying out various resources and attributing correlated "successes" to these interventions despite a lack of a robust evidence base?