fied

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Member: 383974
  • Scotland

Posted 18 October 2019 - 22:10

I started playing the flute at 72 and have been playing for 4 years. It's going well, if slowly, reaching around Grade 3-4 now. Though it takes longer to learn the older you get, it's not to the point that you get fed up with the slower process. It also helped that I play other instruments - learned when I was a lot, lot younger. I'd encourage all 'oldies' to go for it.

But the key issue for me is a good teacher. Mine's young, Hungarian, studying for her MA and is playing and teaching professionally. She's studying and working in Weimar and Jena at the moment, so we have to Skype, though that's no great difficulty for teaching quality for either of us. When she's over in Glasgow we have face-to-face lessons. She's great, doesn't go on about my mistakes much, just endlessly and patiently corrects them, goes for consolidation of all aspects of playing a great deal, is hugely encouraging and a thoroughly nice person. Mind you, she has eyes like a hawk, doesn't stop making me work, has high musical standards, lots of musical knowledge and experience, is an excellently 'pushy' teacher in the nicest possible way and treats me like her favourite granny. I've made a friend as well as found a good teacher. I'm lucky and so glad to have found her through the Glasgow Conservatoire.

#2 Doodle

Doodle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Member: 889296

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:53

What a lovely post!  I'm so happy to read how much you're enjoying your lessons - and I hope your teacher knows how much you do too. :)

#3 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:00

totally agree with the sentiments.

I have been playing flute for 3 years in January and started aged nearly 60. I never played any other instruments other than self taught recorder for a few months when about 11 although I am also learning piano simultaneously . my teacher is face to face but like you say endlessly patient and so encouraging . his enthusiasm is catching and you leave feeling confident that though you may struggle with some things other things are great and that you will be able to sort the problems with a little time and practice. It make such a difference.

I fully enjoy my playing and learning. Have joined a low level community band and play at fete and fairs and thoroughly loving the whole experience.

#4 fied

fied

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Member: 383974
  • Scotland

Posted 19 October 2019 - 20:19

Thank you, Doodle and vron. I feel now that I'm really pushing on and the effort (aided by stubbornness and invective!) is paying off.

#5 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 21 October 2019 - 14:13

Hi fied, your teacher sounds fantastic! Well done with your achievements. I've recently started taking piano lessons again after many years teaching myself, also video lessons, and I am definitely noticing the difference. My teacher really pushes me (which I would expect in any case!) and it's so useful to have another opinion.

#6 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1914 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:15

My teacher is brilliant, and I've thought so for the last 11 years.  He's patient (no matter how much I try it :ninja: ), inventive, generous with his knowledge, always expects the best from me, always tells me I'm better than I think I am (I don't believe that one ;) ), nothing fazes him, and he's a wonderful musician - very inspiring to listen to his playing.  And he's a very nice person.  I learn lots of new things in every lesson and I always come away looking forward to putting into practice what I've learnt.  Thankfully he's younger than me so unlikely to give up teaching before I give up the ghost as I would dread having to find another teacher.