adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 13 October 2019 - 21:54

https://www.youtube....h?v=MzWBFB9Neq4

I have found this set of videos on different aspects of learning and I am following some of them because I left my teacher so do not have anyone to teach me.    One thing I have picked up in these videos is tuning your flute by pushing the head joint out slightly which is one thing my teacher never taught me to do.

she is very good and has a lot that a beginner can pick up.   The only snag is I have nobody I know who can listen to me practice because none of my friends play the flute

#2 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 19 October 2019 - 17:38

https://www.youtube....h?v=MzWBFB9Neq4

I have found this set of videos on different aspects of learning and I am following some of them because I left my teacher so do not have anyone to teach me.    One thing I have picked up in these videos is tuning your flute by pushing the head joint out slightly which is one thing my teacher never taught me to do.

she is very good and has a lot that a beginner can pick up.   The only snag is I have nobody I know who can listen to me practice because none of my friends play the flute

Did you play duets or with piano?

These are times when you may have wanted to tune.

#3 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 19 October 2019 - 18:33

No I never played with piano.  Not sure why.   My flute teacher was just teaching me the basics and I think at some stage if I had continued with her then she might have accompanied me on the piano.   We did a couple of duets but mainly I played on my own.   I think the reason for that was so that she could watch me play and correct anything that was not correct ie  hand position and posture and mouth position.    

Anyway I did some flute today and my breathing is getting better.   The teacher on the video that I now use has made a breathing video.   She says you should play long notes and see how long you can hold a note and each time you blow, you should try and hold the note longer than the time before.    This is actually what my teacher was doing with me.    I am more relaxed now about the flute because I am taking it at my own pace rather than trying to cram my practice into one week which on a new instrument is difficult and more stressful.     

Not sure why but at the lessons I could not balance the flute properly but I have absolutely no problem with balancing the flute at home.  I think it has to do with rushing from work to the lesson and the environment where the lesson was held was not the greatest

https://www.youtube....h?v=FXpcF23r6Js