33 replies to this topic

#31 Karensnagsby

Karensnagsby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Member: 888071

Posted 18 October 2019 - 14:29

I would suggest the father of the baby bought one of those Fisherprice or similar musical toys. One which the baby could bang his/her little fists on and make a little doggy pop out of a box. Or how about one of those chunky little keyboards that have a wooden hammer and about four notes?! Any parent with any common sense could see to that themselves. No need to hire a piano teacher. No reflection on your own piano teaching of course!

Along the same lines as this I would advise the parents to sing, clap and hum songs and nursery rhymes to their little one. What could be better for developing their musicianship as a baby or toddler? Do it any where, any time. My sister used to sing with her girls when they were brushing their teeth. When I was little we used to sing songs on car journeys and I'm sure I could hold my own in a round like "London's burning" by the time I was 5 or 6. Surely general exposure to music and singing is the best approach while children are tiny, not a weekly individual piano lesson!

#32 Karensnagsby

Karensnagsby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Member: 888071

Posted 18 October 2019 - 14:33

Well exactly! That’s the sort of play that parents and babies often partake in naturally without giving music lessons a thought. It’s all good.

#33 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2808 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 18 October 2019 - 14:52

Admittedly, we don't know the circumstances here, but there are some wonderful baby/toddler music groups around that would be more beneficial than trying piano lessons at such a tender age. My 5 year old grandson was singing in my car yesterday and when I asked if it was something he'd learned at school, he said that it was a song they sing at his toddler sister's music group. He had gone along with her in the school summer break and he'd remembered the whole song and was singing it with great enthusiasm!  :)    

#34 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 18 October 2019 - 15:36

I would imagine singing is by far the best thing for children so young to learn.