#1 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 21 September 2019 - 19:38

The Adult Learners section used to be full of posts and now a lot of them are gone?   why?

Also I have a question.   I play better on my own on flute than with my teacher.   Perhaps it was the teacher who made me nervous but I know I am much more capable because when I am at home on my own i play much better but because of this my teacher keeps me doing the same things over and over and although I am not with a teacher anymore I have moved myself on with the book we were using rather than keep on with the same exercise over and over again.   

#2 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 19:46

what I meant was that instead of being stuck on exercise 18 for weeks because the teacher thinks I have difficulty playing that tune and would not move me onto exercise 19 until she was satisfied that I could play the previous exercise well.  I CAN play it well at home so I have moved myself onto exercise 19.

#3 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from the Rhubarb Triangle, Heavy Woollen District, Yorkshire

Posted 21 September 2019 - 20:25

I think all the older posts are still available to read, you just have to lengthen the time filter.

I play better when I am on my own and I guess many people will say the same. When we play for our teachers or in front of an audience it is natural that we want to do well but this makes me nervous and the mistakes creep in.

#4 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 21 September 2019 - 20:28

The Adult Learners section used to be full of posts and now a lot of them are gone?   why?

I am guessing you're seeing only posts meeting the criteria for the forum's default view of recent posts. As there haven't been many replies in the last 30 days it gives the impression the posts have disappeared. However, if you click on 'Custom' and set the 'Time Frame' to 'Show All' you'll see there are 182 pages of posts in the forum dating back to 2004.
XuFzxod.jpg
oPdxSUy.jpg
THMgfIt.jpg

Also I have a question.   I play better on my own on flute than with my teacher.   Perhaps it was the teacher who made me nervous but I know I am much more capable because when I am at home on my own i play much better but because of this my teacher keeps me doing the same things over and over and although I am not with a teacher anymore I have moved myself on with the book we were using rather than keep on with the same exercise over and over again.  

what I meant was that instead of being stuck on exercise 18 for weeks because the teacher thinks I have difficulty playing that tune and would not move me onto exercise 19 until she was satisfied that I could play the previous exercise well.  I CAN play it well at home so I have moved myself onto exercise 19.

I'm not sure I see the question you have. With the caveat that I have no idea at all why you no longer have a flute teacher, one would naturally assume that an experienced and competent instrumental tutor was (i) better placed than you to hear the deficiencies in your playing a given exercise, taking in to account your ability to play better at home – it's extremely difficult to listen objectively (rather than 'just' hear) at the same time as playing; and (ii) cognisant of the short- and longer-term benefits to your musical development of getting you to play an exercise to his or her desired standard.

That said, you are an adult and free to make your own choices, so if you want to move on to what ever exercise or piece you wish to, then by all means go ahead. No one is going to stop you.

#5 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 21 September 2019 - 21:48

pretty much what Ligneo Fistula says is the reason for your first question.

I can't say much about sounding better when you play by yourself. I've worked out I'm an enesemble player and feel like i play better when i'm in an ensemble context. Not inclined in any way to practise my wind instruments by myself.)

#6 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 00:32

I am guessing you're seeing only posts meeting the criteria for the forum's default view of recent posts. As there haven't been many replies in the last 30 days it gives the impression the posts have disappeared. However, if you click on 'Custom' and set the 'Time Frame' to 'Show All' you'll see there are 182 pages of posts in the forum dating back to 2004.
XuFzxod.jpg
oPdxSUy.jpg
THMgfIt.jpg

I'm not sure I see the question you have. With the caveat that I have no idea at all why you no longer have a flute teacher, one would naturally assume that an experienced and competent instrumental tutor was (i) better placed than you to hear the deficiencies in your playing a given exercise, taking in to account your ability to play better at home – it's extremely difficult to listen objectively (rather than 'just' hear) at the same time as playing; and (ii) cognisant of the short- and longer-term benefits to your musical development of getting you to play an exercise to his or her desired standard.

That said, you are an adult and free to make your own choices, so if you want to move on to what ever exercise or piece you wish to, then by all means go ahead. No one is going to stop you.

I

I no longer have a flute teacher because I do not have the time for weekly or every other week lessons as my job has become more and more hectic.  I actually explained this in an earlier post.   However,  in order to keep my hand in and not go backwards, I will practice at home  as and when i can so that when I eventually find the time to go back to formal lessons then I can just pick up from where I left off