Piano Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Member: 889037
  • North England, UK

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:04

Thought I should mention this here in case it has confused anyone in the way it did me ...

Appearing in a recent bank statement was an online payment of £28 to "CHARITABLE&SOCIALS". I racked my brain for ages trying to remember if I'd recently donated to charity (but pretty sure I hadn't .. and I wouldn't really forget giving £28). I phoned the bank who said it may be something to do with the library or a 'performance' but I had no library fines and haven't been to the theatre for a while. The bank put me through to the fraud department but I was kept holding on the line for ages so eventually hung up. A while later the figure £28 suddenly rang a bell … grade 1 theory exam … but why wouldn't this bank entry say: "Associated Board ..." as it always has done in the past? A phone-call to the ABRSM confirmed that the theory exam payment had appeared in my account as Charitable&Socials. Apparently the ABRSM is aware of this issue and they are 'looking into it'. I'm just glad I never got through to the bank fraud department as it would have been a waste of everyone's time.

#2 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4588 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:30

Thanks for sharing this Piano Jan. It will save alot of us from wasting our time trying to work out what has happened.

#3 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 21 September 2019 - 13:39

Thank you - I was going to check that as I thought it might be fraud!

#4 DMC

DMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Member: 477382

Posted 23 September 2019 - 13:05

I had exactly the same thing!!   I thought it was credit card fraud at first. Rang my credit card company, who were able to inform me that it was the ABRSM.

#5 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1330 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:13

I spotted it and realised straight away what it was because of the various strange amounts ( I made more than one entry).

However - why has it been named as such? Did abrsm choose this? I don't suppose we will get an answer.

#6 Doodle

Doodle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Member: 889296

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:39

I saw it and realised it was the ABRSM payment, but very odd.