#16 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4588 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:36

You've gone straight in at Grade 3 on two subjects in the same exam session and got 117? I say well done you! :clap:

My advice for the future = don't get too hung up on marks. If you are happy and fulfilled doing your thing then you are winning!

#17 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:59

took grade 3 piano last year and achieved 115.

I was a bag of nerves and thought I played terribly so was absolutely convinced I had failed. I was genuinely surprised and relieved to find I had passed and as my tutor said well passed not a scrape. A little later on you think why couldn't I have played better and just got those extra marks to get a merit but then I also thought that I am an older adult learner of no previous experience, of the amount of nerves I had, the fact that it was my first ever music exam of any sort, the first time I had played a grand piano and in fact I use a digital not an acoustic so had only played an acoustic a few times. Given those facts I then decided that I could be proud of overcoming those nerves and getting the pass and use it as a base to proceed.

#18 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 20 September 2019 - 19:39

This whole thread reminds me of a girl I was at university with. She always had high coursework marks and gained a first overall, despite battling with some serious dyslexia and not a few anxiety issues. In fact, she was the only first class honours student out of our whole course group. When the inital course results were posted on the notice board (and we were thrilled if we'd got an upper second) she was miffed because, at that stage, although she had a first, they hadn't included the points scores. We were hearing about it for days. :D

Seriously, though, well done Kevin. I'm about to take grade 6 music theatre and am working towards grade 4 piano. At one point I was thinking of taking both in the spring, but I chickened out.

#19 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 21 September 2019 - 00:06

I'll say to you what I said to my daughter when she got 117 in her grade 8 violin - Congratulations and Well Done!  And I mean it. 

A high pass mark is, as others have said, a solid good result.  Your reports may give you some clues as to your strengths and weaknesses so far as exam material goes, and you may be able to aim for merits and distinctions in the future, but you have done well now.

#20 kevin1981

kevin1981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 899738

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:26

Thank you so much everyone! These are all encouraging! My plan now is to fix the issues the examiner identified and I'm aiming to take grade 4 piano in Spring and grade 5 singing in summer (teacher said I can skip a grade in singing but maybe not piano).

And yes I'm going to tell everyone I have two good passes ????????