7 replies to this topic

#1 Scottish Tara

Scottish Tara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 899647

Posted 19 September 2019 - 00:33

I had an argument with my husband earlier when we were taking my daughter to school, it was basically a difference in our parenting style, I am less stricter than he is which is why this situation arose.

Today was his day for taking her to school ( we take turn about each day) so because it was raining he put her jacket on and zipped it up then put the hood up which caused her to moan so I said to him, "why do you not put layers on her so that the jacket does not need zipped, that is what I do" but he just argued and said "this is how I am doing it, you both need to respect and understand that"

So what would you do with your kids, layer up or wrapped up?

#2 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:47

Garden waste bag with a hole for the face.

#3 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2813 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:49

Goodness. When my children were school age they put their own coats on, and if they made a bad choice well, they knew for next time.

We mostly agreed on everything (we're like that) but if we didn't, my husband always deferred to me. Job done!

#4 Scottish Tara

Scottish Tara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 21:35

So, does that mean that my husband was right :)? I want to be on the same page as him regarding this so, if its best to have her jacket zipped up then that's what I will do.

Are your kids good at zipping their own jackets or are they like mine and need reminded?

#5 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:07

How old is your daughter?  Why doesn't she like the zip done up - is the jacket a bit tight, or too warm when it is zipped up? When my son was about seven there was a fashion among the boys for not wearing a jacket at all, even in the rain - this in the west of Scotland! The first time he came home soaked I told him roundly that if he became ill as a result I would have to take time of work, reducing my earnings and affecting our ability to take them on nice holidays. He took the point. :)

#6 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4906 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:14

I'm struggling to understand why this matters.
Some things are worth arguing about, others not so much.
I'd put my foot down about things like ear piercing, silly haircuts etc but whether or not to zip up a jacket? Mmm.

Not a first post, but even for a second it seems a strange subject for a thread.

#7 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 20 September 2019 - 15:27

I had an argument with my husband earlier when we were taking my daughter to school, it was basically a difference in our parenting style, I am less stricter than he is which is why this situation arose.

Today was his day for taking her to school ( we take turn about each day) so because it was raining he put her jacket on and zipped it up then put the hood up which caused her to moan so I said to him, "why do you not put layers on her so that the jacket does not need zipped, that is what I do" but he just argued and said "this is how I am doing it, you both need to respect and understand that"

So what would you do with your kids, layer up or wrapped up?

Maybe the question, for the husband at least,  is not really about zips and layers, but about who makes the decision.

#8 Scottish Tara

Scottish Tara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 15:47

How old is your daughter? Why doesn't she like the zip done up - is the jacket a bit tight, or too warm when it is zipped up? When my son was about seven there was a fashion among the boys for not wearing a jacket at all, even in the rain - this in the west of Scotland! The first time he came home soaked I told him roundly that if he became ill as a result I would have to take time of work, reducing my earnings and affecting our ability to take them on nice holidays. He took the point. :)

She is 6.