thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:34

This is normal teenage behavior. But I cannot stop laughing now! 

#62 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2233 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:01

I'm sure it'll be an enjoyable occasion, Aquarelle! Can't wait to read your post-match report. We need more concerts with a 'bring your own picnic' element here, I think.

#63 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • UK

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:46

I agree, it will be a novel way of having fun! 

#64 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4668 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:34

Suggesting to one football mad pupil that she starts a school women's football team (the PE staff are going to kill me!) :hides:

#65 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7853 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 02 December 2019 - 21:04

Well, yes, it was fun. A kindly grandfather picked me up at a pre-arranged point because the school is buried in the Basque country  foot hills and hard to find. When we arrived we were joined by the rest of the family – grandmother, mum, seven children of whom I teach four. Father couldn’t come as he has been posted to Mali and left Friday. There were quite a few families I knew and lots of children came to greet me. The Fanfare (French equivalent of a small brass band) began to play some Basque folk tunes. Three of my pupils were in that – a flautist and two boys who do piano with me and trumpet and trombone at a municipal music school. The Fanfare played us into the building which I assume was the school refectory.  The family who had invited me to share their picnic settled themselves near the stage – lots of long tables and families and friends grouped together. We stood to sing grace and then tucked in and the school boys served all the adults with a glass of mulled wine. The boys were in uniform – it’s very unusual here. The girls were not – it is a boys only school and the girls were all sisters who are at other schools. They were all typically rather dowdily dressed  - longish dresses or skirts, high necklines etc. I think that is in the name of “modesty”. But they seemed lively enough and were obviously enjoying themselves.

The Fanfare played a bit more and then there was no more music until the end of the meal.  There were 25 items and my pupils played in 11 of them. The young musicians played mostly in pairs or small groups. There were flutes, clarinets, a guitar, a little ‘cellist, pianists and singers. Some of the parents also took part. The music ranged from medieval to ragtime. The atmosphere was relaxed, the players confidently enjoying themselves. My piano and trumpet duo had a restart and the pianist pulled a face and grinned across at me! The mother and daughter items were beautifully played – very simple but very well done. A pianist whom I have had for – ten or twelve years – can’t remember -  and who is now in what will be her last year with me -  played “Booty Swing” by  Parov Stelar – I had never heard of the piece or the composer but it was a fun piece of jazz which brought the house down. I was so pleased to see her taking to her musical wings and playing something I had not taught her! When they get to that stage you know you have done your job. She also sang the cat duet from – I can’t remember which opera – with a friend and I do not know how they kept straight faces !  A father made a valiant effort at a Chopin waltz on the rather grim  Yamaha  bottom of the range piano with no pedal! It turned out that the little ‘cellist was his daughter who is friends with my little piano pupil who had  accompanied her flautist mother.  They asked me to find some music easy enough for the two  little girls to play together. (I hope the Party Time Series has a ‘cello version and would be glad of any suggestions  -  piano part Grade one-ish.)

One of the nicest moments was not musical at all. It was after the concert when I came across the boy who had thrown in the sponge when asked to accompany a clarinettist but had then found an easier piece for them both to play. He is sixteen and was carrying in his arms his little four week old sister. He brought her to show me! This is a family whose father was on the same mission in Mali  last week when thirteen French soldiers were killed in a helicopter accident. They went through a very nasty moment, not knowing if they had lost their father until they got the “he is safe” telephone call. He lost eight of his personal friends and companions in arms.

I got home late afternoon . I am having a very, very busy time at the moment and in a way I couldn’t really afford an afternoon out but I am so glad I went. It was great to be at a concert I didn’t have to organise and to see my pupils taking part in something so worthwhile. It seems there will be a repeat performance next year.

#66 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19956 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 02 December 2019 - 22:15

How lovely! Thank you Aquarelle for the delightful account of your afternoon. 

#67 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2853 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 02 December 2019 - 22:32

Sounds delightful. We should proprose St Cecelia's day concerts to be compulsory in every school here. My boys' primary school used to do a lovely concert in which every single child who played an instrument was given a spot. You only got invited to watch if you had a child in the concert so it felt very special the first time I went. By the time the Boy was there the concerts had been abandoned, as had most music making and nearly all instrumental lessons. But they get slightly better SATs results now so that was obviously a good decision... not. I preferred it in the old days.

#68 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2233 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:49

Thanks for sharing, Aquarelle. I'm often surprised by how much I enjoy most of our local schools' instrumental recitals, at which a couple of my piano students might be playing. It's wonderful to watch all the other young performers, the violinists, guitarists, clarinettists etc and of course other piano students. As you say, it's so relaxing to watch a concert in which you've had minimum input.

Very sad about the helicopter accident, of course.

The famous Cats Duet isn't from an opera, and in fact is now agreed not even to be authentic Rossini but a pastiche by an unknown composer.

#69 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7853 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:34

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes - wouldn't it be great if all schools had  a Saint Cecelia's day concert - or similar. Thanks for that info HelenVJ. I didn't know that. 

Well, Saint Cecelia done and packed off for another year it's now into Christmas. I've just been informed that not only are we doing the primary school Celebration which we repeat after Christmas at the retirement  home but there is also to be a Celebration at church with the college and lycée. We have a new director at the lycéee – sort of super head of the three establishments and he is keen to bring back the tradition of a Celebration at church with all three parts of the educational group involved. Apparently my primary school children are to sing “Douce Nuit” as the closing (and I think only, ) music and I have been asked to be at church tomorrow afternoon to sort details of placings etc. This is going to be interesting. He has also warned me that we might be called upon at Easter. Nothing like looking ahead!

#70 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7853 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 21:49

Another nice little story. We had our presentation of exam certificates tea party on Saturday. I was very late with it this year as I had to wait for a damaged certificate to be replaced and by the time I got it I was up to my eyes in domestic problems and couldn’t find a free Saturday. However no one seemed to mind. All 14 candidates came and brought along parents and siblings. 10 of the 14 had volunteered to play in a mini-concert. It was very informal – no programme – just the names on the back of some post its and each player took one and called out the next performer. The  flautist mother and her   little daughter who played at the St Cecelia concert repeated those  same pieces. My Grade 1 treble recorder player played Tchaikovsky’s “Legend” and got a really nice tone. Others played fun pieces and pieces they had learnt during the summer holiday.

As their first encounter with Chopin my pupils often learn  the fairly easy posthumous A minor Waltz. One of my older girls had wanted to play this at the summer concert but it wasn’t really ready so I promised her she could play it on this occasion. It was worth waiting for. When everyone had left the flautist mother popped back in to ask the name of the first  girl to play.” I explained who she was and the mother said “What musical sensitivity – she really moved me.” That remark made my day! I have been working hard with L who has been a pupil who for several years was greatly lacking in confidence and has only recently come to believe in her own musical ability. It’s been like seeing the sun finally come out from behind a cloud.

This group of candidates did particularly well so I spent a little more on their presents than I usually do. I gave some of the boys socks with musical notes on them. This evening I asked G if I had bought the right size. (Never having been a mother I don’t know anything about that sort of thing!)  He pulled up a trouser leg, grinned widely and said “Impeccable!”

I am now waiting to see if the older boys turn up wearing their musical ties!

#71 Minstrel

Minstrel

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1202 posts
  • Member: 9268

Posted 10 December 2019 - 22:50

How lovely to read your posts Aquarelle, you are such an inspiration . Your students and families are very lucky to have you .

#72 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • UK

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:12

Aquarelle your posts always make me laugh! Sounds like you had a good time.