Photo

Message disappearing after Captcha complete...?

captcha disappear message

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 appreciatethehelp

appreciatethehelp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Member: 899868

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:29

Hi everyone, I just posted my first message on here, and after filling out (what happened to be a rather lengthy) message and clicking "post new topic", I was prompted with a "Captcha" to verify that I am not a robot.

Then, rather than being taken to a screen showing my message, I was returned to the home page. Upon searching for my thread I found no results, either in new topics or via a keyword search. It also hasn't shown up in "my topics" or "my posts" either.

Would this be due to the thread awaiting approval from a moderator, or is this website a bit buggy? If it were due to pending approval, you'd think I'd be notified of such, to prevent a confusing situation- such as the one I presently find myself in!

Perhaps there is a maximum word count available? I tried to make a second, lengthy post, and the same thing happened- after completing the Captcha I was returned to the home page, with my message nowhere to be found. Thankfully I had the foresight to copy it to another location this time, so as not to lose the message.

My shorter posts, such as this one, seem to go through just fine however...
If it is a matter of word count, again it'd be good to be notified of this.

If anyone could weigh in on this, particularly a mod, that would be grand indeed.

Many thanks.

#2 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6187 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:18

I'm not aware of any particular limit on posts. The forum software is problem not the most current at a guess since AB don't seem to spend much effort in maintaining it. Mods are not very visible - might be quicker if you messaged them direct. 

EDIT mmm I think the forum may have issues - my profile pic isn't appearing next to my post....

#3 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:07

I had a problem trying to post a new topic, and that was only a short post. Same thing as you describe. When I tried again (the next day) it posted straight away and I didn't get the robot message. So all I can say is please try again! Glad you had the idea to copy your post! Hope you have more luck posting it next time.

#4 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19891 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:38

I'm not aware of any particular limit on posts. The forum software is problem not the most current at a guess since AB don't seem to spend much effort in maintaining it. Mods are not very visible - might be quicker if you messaged them direct. 

EDIT mmm I think the forum may have issues - my profile pic isn't appearing next to my post....

Same here.

And no, the Mods don’t seem to be around much.

#5 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2777 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:44

That's happened to me when I've been using my phone. I hate Captcha. What a stupid idea that so many people fall for. Don't they know they're just jhelping the likes of Google for free? And irritarting the h*** out of their clients in the process? Sometimes the stupidity of organisations takes my breath away.

#6 appreciatethehelp

appreciatethehelp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Member: 899868

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:37

I had a problem trying to post a new topic, and that was only a short post. Same thing as you describe. When I tried again (the next day) it posted straight away and I didn't get the robot message. So all I can say is please try again! Glad you had the idea to copy your post! Hope you have more luck posting it next time.

I have tried approximately 6 times over three different days- same result each time. It's a shame as that question is what led me to join the forum in the first place.
If it's only due to interference from the Captcha, then if I can somehow skip that step maybe it'll work out.
If not, perhaps I'll have to try a different forum instead. I hope not as it'd be a bummer- you all seem helpful and affable, but what's use is a forum that won't let me post questions?

#7 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:54

I've been chatting about this with Mr Gran'Piano, who knows a lot more about computers than he does about music. He manages four home pages and says that two of them have Captcha provided by Google - both have Captcha invisible recaptcha which seems a bit 'better' than the previous versions. Of course all three versions come from our friend Google (he who says, you said you were looking for trains to Zürich for tomorrow but I am sure you would really prefer to fly to Singapore next Tuesday - here are the flights we suggest!) and there is probably little the Admin of the Forum can do about certain idiosyncracies. Enabling 'invisible recaptcha' might help but I wouldn't bet on it solving the problem completely.
This site gives a few hints as to how one can avoid being 'captcha'd'. As the service is set up to prevent spammers getting into a system, anything which looks like spam will be more likely to trip the switch. The site is more about questions to Google search but some of the stuff will probably be valid here too.

If I write anything complicated, with links, I usually write in Word and transfer it afterwards. Less because I think it I might lose it after captcha, but because I might hit the 'go back one stage' arrow and do the vile deed all by myself.

P.S. Mr Gran'Piano has added... when ticking the 'I am not a robot' field, you, as a musician, trained to be accurate in placement, may well click on or touch the centre of the field and are thus more likely to be assumed to be a robot, programmed to hit this point. Usually humans don't.

#8 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19891 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:04

Ah - this was the thread I failed to find when posting my comment on Capcha earlier today.

I knew there was one somewhere. A search was unsuccessful.

#9 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 21 September 2019 - 13:26

Could you try posting it in sections - part of it as a new topic, and then the rest as replies? You could try it on this thread; even though it is technically off topic, I'm sure nobody would mind. Are there any links or pictures that might be causing problems?

#10 one_man_band

one_man_band

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 899259

Posted 22 September 2019 - 17:07

Captcha v3 is invisible - tricky to avoid