#16 Kai-Lei

Kai-Lei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Member: 4809

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:31

I found the cello difficult. There was this spike that always stuck into my neck when I tried to put it under my chin. Poor design, that. 

:D

#17 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6195 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:10

ha.ha. 

Cello cases are stupidly expensive for anything 'nice'.

#18 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4667 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:25

Thanks Kai-Lei - that's where I'm going wrong! laugh.png

#19 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17676 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:47

Cellos are harder to transport, but its a beautiful instrument. I had a school one, so had to hand it in when I left in Dec 1964, having reached Grade 4/5. It just wasnt feasible to continue at Uni as well as my Chemistry studies and keeping piano and organ up, where I already had an 'A' dip and  Grade 8 respectively.  Have played one only once since then !

#20 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3761 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:53

I learn the cello. I'm not very strong and don't think I could manage a hard case, but I bought a well padded soft case which has been brilliant. It's called a guvnor but I'm not sure you can still get them.

#21 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6195 posts
  • North Shropshire

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:20

I think the standard Hixcox case (which is virtually indestructible) weighs about 5kg? It's not really 'that' heavy - just awkward. But you can have a harness fitted to it to wear as a backpack. This is the one I have: 

https://www.alangreg...qhoCYm0QAvD_BwE

#22 cestrian

cestrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Member: 253314
  • Wales

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:41

Go for the one you like the sound of the most. When things get hard you'll need to be able to motivate yourself. They say it takes ten years for a cellist to like their sound and I'm looking forward to next year when it suddenly happens.

#23 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:49

hi all

Thank you for  your replies!

I actually did begin to learn the viola about 15 years ago. I was doing OK-ish but I remember once spending all week practising a D-major scale over and over, trying really hard. When I played it to my teacher at my next lesson she said gently 'I just don't understand why it sounds SO out of tune...'

I became so disheartened after that I gave it up. I didn't think I was that unmusical (I have a music degree from a very good university) but maybe I'm tone deaf after all! The teacher was a lovely lady and she was a professional violist, not a violinst, so I don't blame her at all. Wonder whether I should give it another shot, try the cello, or just accept that I can't play anything where my fingers need to define the notes....!!.

Since I started using MuseScore (a completely free and surprisingly versatile music notation programme) I began to play better in tune on my old flute (which was not very much in tune with itself, so it needed a lot of intonation).  MuseScore has equal temperament tuning by default, but with the help of a plugin you could also play in well-tempered or just intonation. So, I would say, just give the violoa another try and practice playing in tune with a music notation programme.

#24 violinlove

violinlove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Member: 381238

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:48

Can you not give both of them a try? Eg. hire or borrow a viola and take some trial lessons with a teacher and then the same with cello.

I am a violinist and I really couldn't get away with the viola at all. I found it too big for my tiny hands and also too heavy - it was just a strain and no fun at all. Clef reading is not difficult - you learn that quickly.

I did play cello for about 3 years and I loved it but I just didn't have time for it alongside my other instruments. I found it less of a problem for my tiny hands than the viola for some reason! And there wasn't the strain of having to hold it up. But yes, it was a pain to cart around!

I would say violas are more in demand in amateur orchestras than cellos, but cello sections are not full either in general - so I wouldn't let that influence your decision. It's not like playing the flute or clarinet.. where there are only 2 or 3 players needed and lots of people of an excellent standard waiting to fill the positions. Some amateur orchestras I know have waiting lists for woodwind places.

#25 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Member: 10185

Posted 13 August 2019 - 21:41

Thanks everyone!
Got a cello lesson booked!!

#26 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 13 August 2019 - 21:59

Violas come in different sizes and it's possible to get a small one with a good sound.  The cello is a lovely instrument but the hassle of transporting it would be a deal breaker for me.  We don't have a car but I can easily take my violin by bicycle, bus or train. Trial viola lessons as Violinlove suggests would let you see if you can manage the position, bearing in mind that it will take some weeks to get used to it and train the necessary muscles.

Edit: I posted this before seeing your last post.  Good luck with the cello lesson and let us know how it goes.

#27 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6195 posts
  • North Shropshire

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:59

Good luck @Bailey

#28 De Sisti

De Sisti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Member: 895352

Posted 10 September 2019 - 20:35

A bit 'left-field', but how about trying a double bass?

#29 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 11 September 2019 - 14:15

Thanks everyone!
Got a cello lesson booked!!

Almost a month later, I really like to know: how was your cello lesson?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: viola, cello, orchestra