mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4940 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted Yesterday, 14:14

Could you heat the brandy butter until the alcohol has boiled off?

Mel2 what type of birds do you have that are so picky?

Just the usual garden birds, including spuggies.
I think they have been spoiled rotten with proprietary branded Niger seed, mealworms and the like. We don't usually pander to those tastes until it gets really cold.
A feeder full of suet pellets is also being ignored. There's a wren that eats only whatever it finds on the ground and occasional visiting goldfinches stick to seedheads.
Doesn't help me in getting rid of leftover cake or bread.

#77 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1985 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted Yesterday, 16:11

Could you heat the brandy butter until the alcohol has boiled off?

Mel2 what type of birds do you have that are so picky?

Just the usual garden birds, including spuggies.
I think they have been spoiled rotten with proprietary branded Niger seed, mealworms and the like. We don't usually pander to those tastes until it gets really cold.

Do you mean nigella seeds? The joys of autocorrect...

#78 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6731 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted Yesterday, 16:16

Niger seed is a bird food.  Occasionally you see it as nyjer.  Completely different plant to nigella :)

#79 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7845 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted Yesterday, 23:31

You may remember the posts about my wood pigeon - the one I found in the garden, feathers torn out and unable to fly. Well, I released her today. She had got to the stage where the feathers were not quite but nearly 100% and was impatiently throwing herself at the cage door. It's always a question of the right moment with birds - when they are only just ready to go but will damage themselves if you leave it any longer. Anyway  when I left the door open she hesitated a few seconds and then flew  high swift and strong across the garden, heading for the woods. It has been a dry, sunny day, not too cold so she should be OK. I would like to have kept her until the end of the shooting season but it just wasn't possible.