#46 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4667 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:44

Just divided my rhubarb plant and put a couple of pieces in neighbours' gardens. Mr Robin turned up to help, with his beady eye on the worms!

#47 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7850 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 03 November 2019 - 14:59

The turtle dove has actually eaten by its self. I have never had a turtle dove do that before.  I was hand feeding it yesterday when it suddenly put its head in the bowl of seeds and started to eat. so that is one daily job I don't have to do any more. It still can't balance perfectly but is improving.

Norway, I had 2 robins on the patio a couple of days ago. They only ever come in the winter. But yesterday i found one dead. I suspect one of my cats. It's sad but the robins are too tame.

#48 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7850 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:17

A few minutes ago i was in my bedroom when something flew past me. An excited kitten also saw it. It was a tiny bird - a young great ### and it perched on top of the wardrobe. I put the kitten out of the room and opened the window. The bird was gone in a flash! I have no idea how it got in as all outside doors and all windows were shut and If one of my cats had brought it in through the cat flap I don't think it would have been in a fit state to fly around. Actualy it didn't seem panicked.

Talking of little critters, my snails are doing nicely. I found another very small one in the dustbin this morning so that went into the nursery box.

#49 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:54

Not so much little critters, but otters have been spied fishing in Grafton Lock, Oxon this week :) :wub:

Bag x

#50 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 13:18

Greetings Bagpuss! :wave: Enjoy the wildlife! :bob: (Sorry there's no otter picture!)

#51 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 16 November 2019 - 13:54

A few minutes ago i was in my bedroom when something flew past me. An excited kitten also saw it. It was a tiny bird - a young great ### and it perched on top of the wardrobe. I put the kitten out of the room and opened the window. The bird was gone in a flash! I have no idea how it got in as all outside doors and all windows were shut and If one of my cats had brought it in through the cat flap I don't think it would have been in a fit state to fly around. Actualy it didn't seem panicked.

Talking of little critters, my snails are doing nicely. I found another very small one in the dustbin this morning so that went into the nursery box.

Next time you must show us a photo!

#52 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 16 November 2019 - 14:04

The tortoise is now in the fridge for the winter - I just need to remember to keep opening the door so he has enough oxygen!

#53 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6002 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 16 November 2019 - 23:12

The tortoise is now in the fridge for the winter - I just need to remember to keep opening the door so he has enough oxygen!

Is that....literally?  :blink:  :o

#54 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 23:31

Yes, the safest way is to make sure they keep at 5 degrees, so he goes in the fridge. If it gets too cold they freeze to death, and if it gets above 10 degrees they wake up, and if they wake and then hibernate again afterwards they can use too much energy and starve. We have a separate fridge as it is a bit too warm for the food.

#55 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4945 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 16 November 2019 - 23:55

Yes, the safest way is to make sure they keep at 5 degrees, so he goes in the fridge. If it gets too cold they freeze to death, and if it gets above 10 degrees they wake up, and if they wake and then hibernate again afterwards they can use too much energy and starve. We have a separate fridge as it is a bit too warm for the food.

Very relieved to read this. I was worried about the tortoise! (And I hope he CAN breathe...)

#56 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:25

A novel way of keeping pets! I've never done that before! 

#57 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7850 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 14:46

I don't suppose there are many tortoises that can boast a real fridge of their own! I hope this one has a good winter's snooze!

#58 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 15:22

Its very useful at Christmas when he is surrounded by wine etc! Its the recommended way to hibernate in this country, where winter weather is too unpredictable to use a shed or similar.

#59 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7850 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 15:46

I have released the turtle dove this afternoon. I wanted to keep her until the weather turned warmer but it was a question of finding the balance between a recovery from her injuries and not letting her get frustrated and injure herslf in the cage. She had started to eat by herself, and was showing aggressivity towards me which I felt meant she was ready to go. Her feathers could have been better but I decided they were good enough for flight. So as today  was slightly warmer and the rain had stopped I hand fed her to make sure she had had a meal and then took her outside. She perched on my finger and surveyed the garden got about a minute. Then she took off and made it into the highest branches of a nearby ash tree. From there she flew right across the garden to the place where several turtle doves live.

I still have the wood pigeon - not enough feathers yet but the cage is much larger and I don't think there will be any problem anbout damaged feathers when they do grow.

#60 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 13:00

Has the turtle dove reappeared Aquarelle?

I've just used up some very out of date flour by making bird scones, with wild bird seed and a bit of old cheese added. They went mad for it! :)