Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Member: 288071
  • South West

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:23

Good luck to all those doing exams, whether practical or music theory!

Our theory exam date here in the Republic of Texas is November 2nd.  I have a student taking G5, and I'm taking G6.

My G5 student has worked though stacks and stacks of practice problems, including last year's practice papers.  Her working on the practice papers is at high distinction level - think 99% or 100%.  I am so incredibly proud of her.  We've also been playing through most of the pieces on the G3 piano syllabus (the ones I could scrape together without buying extraneous books).  She'll be doing G3 next May, in the same session where I'll be taking ARSM.

I have also been working G6 past papers, as well as problems from the G6 Theory Workbook.  I'm fairly confident I'll get at least a Merit at G6.  One thing I've noticed is that the score analysis problems in the G6 Theory Workbook are much harder than the score analysis problems in the past papers.

I'm still working on my ARSM programme for next spring.  It has done at least one thing for me: I never, never, never want to play another mazurka in my life.  I merely disliked that musical form going into ARSM, now I absolutely hate it.  That said, my Chopin mazurka is starting to sound pretty good.

My advice with G6 is make sure you read the questions!  3 minutes before the 3 hours were up I realised I had modulated to the subdominant rather than the dominant (as requested) in my melody in question 3...  there had to be some immediate emergency surgery which I only just completed in the closing seconds of the exam. 

#62 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 25 October 2019 - 14:45

My advice with G6 is make sure you read the questions!  3 minutes before the 3 hours were up I realised I had modulated to the subdominant rather than the dominant (as requested) in my melody in question 3...  there had to be some immediate emergency surgery which I only just completed in the closing seconds of the exam. 

Oh, wow!  Definitely good advice!

I intend to go slowly, double- and triple-check everything, and take the whole three hours.

#63 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • South West

Posted 25 October 2019 - 21:20

Oh, wow!  Definitely good advice!

I intend to go slowly, double- and triple-check everything, and take the whole three hours.

I used all 3 hours... I felt sorry for the invigilator who had only me in the room for the final hour.

To start with I had a glance through questions 1, 2 and 3 so my subconscious could be working on them and then turned to the final two rudiments type questions to get them out of the way. i found I was much slower looking through the scores particularly for the "Find a bar where..." type questions than I had been in practice papers - the pressure I think. And I doubled and tripled-check everything.

Best of luck and do let us know how you get on!

#64 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:20

This is good advice for all MT grades. I was asked to do a practice paper on Saturday (lowest grade possible) and I accidentally missed out one or two questions when I double checked at the end. 

#65 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 14:32

Does anyone have any suggestions for the composition question on the Grade 6 theory exam (other than the aforementioned excellent advice to read the question carefully)?  I approach it by laying out the harmonic structure, especially the cadences.  I feel like my compositions just technically meet the requirements, but they tend to sound pretty "blah."

I have signed up for the MyMusicTheory Grade 7 composition course.  I'm hoping that will help me improve a little by the next exam.

#66 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • UK

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:24

Does anyone have any suggestions for the composition question on the Grade 6 theory exam (other than the aforementioned excellent advice to read the question carefully)?  I approach it by laying out the harmonic structure, especially the cadences.  I feel like my compositions just technically meet the requirements, but they tend to sound pretty "blah."

I have signed up for the MyMusicTheory Grade 7 composition course.  I'm hoping that will help me improve a little by the next exam.

What about the ABRSM resources? This is their online shop where you can buy books and exam papers https://shop.abrsm.org/

#67 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 13:20

What about the ABRSM resources? This is their online shop where you can buy books and exam papers https://shop.abrsm.org/

I have worked through the Theory Workbook and four years worth of past papers.  I really like the past papers.

#68 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • South West

Posted 30 October 2019 - 13:25

I know exactly what you mean!  My approach is the same, and I feel the same too about my answers.  I am practicing the similar question for G7 and I find it's easier when you're writing for an instrument you play or have a feel for (strings in my case).  I will be going through the MyMusicTheory course too. Have you looked at the marking criteria for this question available online?

#69 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • UK

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:19

I know exactly what you mean!  My approach is the same, and I feel the same too about my answers.  I am practicing the similar question for G7 and I find it's easier when you're writing for an instrument you play or have a feel for (strings in my case).  I will be going through the MyMusicTheory course too. Have you looked at the marking criteria for this question available online?

Do they have resources for MT grade one? 

#70 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 15:11

They do indeed!  https://www.mymusict.../grade-1-course

I have no financial interest in that site; it's just a great resource that I use and highly recommend.

#71 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19919 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 06 November 2019 - 16:40

I have no financial interest in that site; it's just a great resource that I use and highly recommend.

Seconded. It is excellent, and very comprehensive. 

#72 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • UK

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:55

I agree. How much does it cost to buy courses on there? 

#73 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • UK

Posted 10 November 2019 - 22:01

Anyone else?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: musical instruments, grade exams, abrsm