jo.clarinet

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2803 posts
  • Member: 303
  • London

Posted 18 May 2019 - 18:22

I have to say that given that these are *music* exams - and also that our pupils' parents are paying such high fees for the privilege of being examined - it seems ridiculous to me that we teachers are having to agonise over what are actually very short repeats taking maybe 10 or 15 seconds! I really hate having to tell my pupils to play a piece in a format which really grates with me as being totally unmusical with regard to balance sad.png  It's a similar situation with the Grade 3 'Wouldn't it be Loverly?' - the repeat really needs to be played in order to give a satisfactory shape to the piece.

I agree with Helen's post above, regarding other 'time-wasting' scenarios - and there are also those pupils who play their scales with plenty of restarts or at a snail's pace.....

#32 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:26

I take the point about musical shape, and that there are many ways which a student can spend too long attempting something.  My point is that the rule on repeats is one way to manage time.  An examiner can move a student along on sight reading, scales and tell them to stop playing a piece.  There have to be constraints on time, otherwise exams could run to 24 hours a day!

#33 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7747 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 19 May 2019 - 13:02

I am a bit bemused by this thread. I take the point about musical balance but this is only Grade 2. There is plenty of time to go into all that later. I only briefly mention form and structure at this stage.  With repertoire sometimes I teach first and second time bars and sometimes I don't but for exam pieces I check what is required and prepare that. Full stop. It is always possible to discuss this with a child and point  out that the composer's intentions were that there should be a repeat but under exam conditions we just don't do it. I just think every candidate should be examined on the same material. It puts an examiner in an invidious position if some candidates play  first time perfectly and then muck up the second time which they haven't been asked to play and some candidates play the first time without repeat perfectly - or with errors. How are they supposed to mark? The rules are perfectly clear and whether we agree or not we should abide by them.

I have had Grade 1 candidates gleefully announce that they can play C major in contrary motion over two octaves and then say can they do it like that in the exam. My answer is that I am pleased they can do it but that they must stick to one octave in the Grade 1 exam. I mean where do we end up if we all do our own thing?

#34 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 19 May 2019 - 15:25

Aquarelle, spot on.

#35 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2781 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 19 May 2019 - 17:27

I have had Grade 1 candidates gleefully announce that they can play C major in contrary motion over two octaves and then say can they do it like that in the exam. My answer is that I am pleased they can do it but that they must stick to one octave in the Grade 1 exam. I mean where do we end up if we all do our own thing?

This happens to me a lot. I find that they really want to play them over two octaves and, of course, all of their other scales are two octaves, so it probably feels natural. Going back to the repeats issue, I have often wondered why the board doesn't just publish the exam pieces without repeat marks when they don't want repeats...

#36 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7747 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 19 May 2019 - 22:28

Jenny, I think that wouldn't work with the alternative pieces which are often not  in ABRSM publications.

#37 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:23

I think Jenny's idea of editing the pieces in the ABRSM exam books would be an excellent idea.  It would save a lot of confusion. Yes the alternative pieces would still be open to confusion, but that is where knowing the regulations comes in.