#1 Iulia

Iulia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Member: 899283

Posted 28 March 2019 - 13:21

Hi

I have a student nine years old who has just sat his G1 AB exam. He came to me just before the exam, and had played nothing but those pieces for months.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice anthology book that could be used both now before we start the next syllabus and to give him a bit of variety when we approach G2?

I was thinking of the LCM Piano Anthology G1 and 2, but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions?

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-2

(for background, I taught as a young adult and also teach accordion, and recently restarted my teaching career after a bit of a gap, so I'm not totally up to speed with recent publications).

thanks in advance

#2 Iulia

Iulia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 13:36

That's piano by the way duh laugh.png

#3 Sautillé

Sautillé

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Member: 897314

Posted 28 March 2019 - 14:10

Oh.... I’ll kick off then.....Right now I have kids using Keyboard Crocodile which I think is a great book - the only thing this time around is that lots of my grade 1-2 faves (Night J etc) are back on the new syllabus! I also like some of the pieces from Upgrade 1-2, I nearly always start with Snake Charmer and The Detective. I like Magic Beans by Ben Crossland and Piano Mysterioso by Barbara Arens which goes quite a long way grade wise and is all minor key pieces - the kids seem to really like them. There’s loads of crossover between the various anthology books and I still dig out Classics to Moderns 2 Piano Time pieces 2 (least, I think it’s dull) and music through time book 1. Spooky piano time Pauline Hall jazz rags and blues by Martha Mier and Easy little peppers by Elissa Milne. Depending on how competent you think your student is, you might want to go for a ‘bigger’ format and a consolidation moment in which case I also like Piano Adventures 2b performance book.

#4 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3648 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 28 March 2019 - 14:29

I bought the LCM anthology and have hardly used it. Somehow the pieces didn't appeal to me or the students. The Encore grade 1 to 2 book has some good material.

#5 Iulia

Iulia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:55

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'd wondered about the Faber Performance but wasn't sure if it was going to be too easy, though I liked the sound of the repertoire. I'll see if I can find some recordings on youtube. All the other stuff sounds great.

When he came to me his sight reading and aural were non existent, so I've been so focused on getting him through the exam I didn't really take time to think about what next.

#6 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19888 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 28 March 2019 - 16:25

Good comment on sight-reading - I was thinking that if your pupil has been playing the same three pieces for months on end, he probably won’t have been reading the notes for some time.

I would err on the easy side, if it were me, and take some time to build up his all-round skills!

#7 pianoviolinmum

pianoviolinmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Member: 895582

Posted 28 March 2019 - 16:32

Piano Mix 1?

#8 KathyB

KathyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Member: 487205

Posted 28 March 2019 - 16:37

I told mine I was so proud of them for how hard they have worked up to the exam and asked them what they would like to play. I got Ed Sheehan and Queen! There looks to be some nice easy versions so that’s what we’re going to do!!!

#9 Iulia

Iulia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 17:19

All brilliant suggestions thanks I've listed them all and will work my way through them.

MaggieMay yes I think you are wise. I only heard the parents' side of the story as to why they moved him so I won't comment here, but I spent the first month sorting the errors in the pieces and the second cramming everything else, so some consolidation would be probably a good idea.

But I didn't want to ask the parents to buy 10 books or something lol so its nice to hear what you all use.

#10 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 29 March 2019 - 13:44

I like the Faber Performance books between exams as the pieces are easy to learn but cover the keyboard well so enable players to move around boldly after months of perfecting tiny details in their exam pieces.  I also offer to do popular music, which they can supply themselves if they know what they want to play. 

Incidentally there are some interesting song arrangements in the new Rockschool repertoire and these can be downloaded individually rather than buying the somewhat expensive books.  'Really Easy' series, Faber Adult Pop and Dozen-a-Day songbooks are also useful for light relief.

#11 Iulia

Iulia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 20:57

Thanks for all the great suggestions

#12 xini

xini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Member: 41401

Posted 01 April 2019 - 13:00

There's a nice series called Grade [X] Piano Solos. A good mixture of styles and rep and appealing to kids. However I don't rate the Grade 1 book very highly, but there's another called 'More Grade 1 Piano Solos' which is better.

You can get them on musicroom.

#13 Iulia

Iulia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 13:56

The first I ordered - Upgrade - has arrived and I'm very pleased with it, some nice pieces. The Faber and one other on their way so far. I do have a couple other kids going for G1 July and I hope November so its all good research - thanks all.

#14 Iulia

Iulia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 19:03

I know I'm answering my own thread here, but thought others might find it useful.

I recently got 'Paintbox' by June Armstrong (Dusty Blue is on the G2 syllabus).

I must admit when I come across one nice piece I kinda tend to assume the others won't be as good, but this is a delight from start to finish.

Its prefaced as being pre G1/G1 - I'm not sure particularly as Dusty Blue is G2 that many are pre G1, but they vary in standard and are a really nice way of moving students off the white notes and out of the centre of the keyboard.

Very satisfying pieces musically.

I've not bought any of her other books but certainly will be!

#15 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2773 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 19 May 2019 - 20:16

Mine all liked Upgrade, and they do tend to get a bit harder through the book, so you can get good use out of it.