dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 10 May 2019 - 20:19

Thank you! I'm fine now. Have never had a musical injury before!
Had a very interesting lesson today as now my new teacher wants to get down to a fundamental overhaul, beginning with my flute set-up to a modified Rockstro position and possibly doing some modifications to the flute itself. Aim to massively reduce tension all round and ultimately to produce much more variation, volume and depth of sound. Loads of emphasis on posture, and creating unrestricted airflow with better use of mouth/throat etc. I will be doing lots of longtones and slow simple stuff for a while. (Not a melodic minor staccato in sight, hooray!) This will be interesting!

#92 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:50

Glad you're recovered.

My teacher is also now overhauling my "setup", which he'd hinted at needing work before my exam, but didn't want to do anything with until that was out of the way. We're no longer doing any scales (phew!), instead doing Reichert's Daily exercises, plus long low breathy notes as an initial warm up, because my embouchure had got really "tight" in the run up to my exam, and I need to relax much more. He's currently also obsessed with the position of my right elbow (too high!) and how much my wrists move when I play, which I hadn't even noticed.

It is interesting how tiny changes really do seem to make a difference in sound. In one recent lesson, he commented on how hunched over I looked, I stood up a tiny bit straighter, and the sound became much more open and rich.

I'm also working on Danse de la Chevre, but we're breaking it down into tiny chunks, and using it to work on all the aspects of my posture and embouchure that he wants to change, so I'm barely past the first couple of lines but working so hard on it.

And to think I was wondering what I'd be doing post-exam!

#93 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts
  • Germany

Posted 11 May 2019 - 13:09

I like the Reichert daily exercises too, nice and musical and great for the strong flow of air. But I'm not "allowed" to do anything like that for the moment! Yes, and posture, I really have to pay attention to. This is something I need to improve with my other instruments too. He took a picture of me before and after lining myself up against the wall, and the difference in look and sound was noticeable. A millimetre difference here and there on the flute makes such a difference. Tricky beast!

#94 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts
  • Germany

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:50

Over three weeks now and not even a beep of online results.

The local rep said they would not be available until the examiner had left the country and could take a few weeks!!

At this rate the written comments will be an historical document, possibly hand-scribed with a quill pen on parchment!!

WAKE UP, ABRSM!!

#95 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 31 May 2019 - 13:57

The local rep said they would not be available until the examiner had left the country and could take a few weeks!!

At this rate the written comments will be an historical document, possibly hand-scribed with a quill pen on parchment!!

WAKE UP, ABRSM!!

Amen.  As I commented in another thread, this is 2019, but other than the ability to print out registration forms myself and pay with a credit card, the whole process (at least in the United States) might as well be stuck in 1819.

(I am also nervously awaiting my results...)

#96 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:34

Especially when you consider that I had my Trinity results in just over a week, and for most centres, including mine, they do still do everything by post.

Hopefully you guys won’t have too much longer to wait.

#97 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts
  • Germany

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:16

WAKE UP, ABRSM!!

Amen. As I commented in another thread, this is 2019, but other than the ability to print out registration forms myself and pay with a credit card, the whole process (at least in the United States) might as well be stuck in 1819.

Over three weeks now and not even a beep of online results.The local rep said they would not be available until the examiner had left the country and could take a few weeks!!At this rate the written comments will be an historical document, possibly hand-scribed with a quill pen on parchment!!WAKE UP, ABRSM!!
 Amen.  As I commented in another thread, this is 2019, but other than the ability to print out registration forms myself and pay with a credit card, the whole process (at least in the United States) might as well be stuck in 1819.

Congratulations on your distinction, reported on other thread! Results after about a week- now there's a Special Relationship! Am now into the 5th week of waiting. Won't bother again, despite finding exam prep a good stimulus, never mind the outcome. I was beginning to have thoughts about doing a harp exam next year. A pity Trinity doesn't examine here. They seem much more on the ball administratively. 

#98 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:19

Five weeks! That really is getting silly.

I have to say that my experience with Trinity was really postitive, even though I did have to enter by post and send a cheque for the exam fee (mild panic when I couldn’t remember where I keep my cheque book these days!). The local rep was really quick to respond to an email I sent, and I got an exam date that worked well around my work commitments, plus the examiner and organiser at the exam centre on the day were really nice.It’s a pity they don’t examine over where you are.

#99 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts
  • Germany

Posted 25 June 2019 - 21:02

Well, finally!
I passed with 111 which was more than I awarded myself. Failed the scales by 1 mark, which I thought was generous. Got full marks for the Aural! The comments were fair and perceptive and mirror what my new teacher has been concentrating on. Given the roller coaster leading up to it and that G7 was probably an ambitious level to jump in at, I'm not heartbroken.

#100 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 16:47

Oh, well done! Considering the run up you had to your exam, that's a great result. Congratulations!

#101 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts
  • Germany

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:05

Thank you! My playing is getting a fundamental overhaul from the new slave-driver!

#102 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2851 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:31

That's tremendous. Well done, Dormouse.

#103 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts
  • Germany

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:53

Thank you!
Now that I've hit retiremant I've got all this time to practise my instruments properly and not half-awake after a murderous day of driving/teaching/meetings etc.
Hmmm, it's rather hot today, 38ish, perhaps the new regime will start mañana ..... !