#1 cowasaki

cowasaki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Member: 546042
  • Preston, UK

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:13

I started to play the violin about 3-4 years ago but had to stop because I have a problem with my arm where I cannot hold it up to play the violin for long enough.  I got to about grade 2 level but didn't take the exams as I was going to start at grade 3.  Anyway, I been going to the orchestra with my wife and they don't have a reliable double bass player and after a bit of a chat, I managed to get a double bass which I'm really enjoying.

On to the issue...  When I played the violin I would put rosin on (Andreas solo) each time I got the violin out of its case to play and that was usually enough.  With the double bass, I'm having to apply rosin about every half an hour!  If I do not then it screeches if I do apply it then it sounds good.  I'm using POPS' general playing bass rosin which is what my teacher uses (he is a retired bassist but wasn't a teacher.   He is doing me a favour but I don't have a lesson now for a couple of weeks).

Does this sound about right?  

The bass itself is an eastern European bass of not particularly high quality but perfectly good and I have no information about the strings as they were on it when I got it.  If I get to grade 3 and pass I am treating myself to an upgrade :)

Thanks

#2 jmcellist

jmcellist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Member: 487246

Posted 13 January 2019 - 14:09

You shouldn't need to rosin the bow more than once a playing session. Perhaps it's a newly haired bow with no build-up of rosin on it yet. Bass rosin is much stickier than violin rosin so make sure you only go in one direction when applying it, so that you don't pull hairs out of the bow. I don't use the same brand as you, but if it's specific bass rosin it should be fine. Good luck!

#3 cowasaki

cowasaki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Member: 546042
  • Preston, UK

Posted 13 January 2019 - 16:07

I know the bow was re-strung not too long ago.  The husband of a friend of my wife was giving a double bass away and my wife told her friend who plays the cello (before telling me!!!) and she got it then had to have the tail piece wire etc replaced, the bow re-strung, some strings plus bought a couple of books.  She gave up and returned to the cello so passed it to me for what the above cost.  So the bow hairs are not very old!  I've just got to playing a piece that goes across all four strings but all in the 1st position

#4 kenm

kenm

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts
  • Member: 2075

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:40

FWIW, I use Pop's Bass Rosin, which the maker describes thus:

"Keep Pop's rosin in this container To achieve its superior playing quality.  It is necessarily soft and will run when left in a tilted position. For best results, use sparingly"

At rehearsals, I usually apply a small amount before each of the 90 or 105 minute sessions, but I have never noticed any problems when I arrive too late to do this.  He's right about it running.  I keep it in a box on one side of my bass stool, pivoting on a single woodscrew so that the rosin stays upright when the stool is on its back. 

#5 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:44

Perhaps it's a newly haired bow with no build-up of rosin on it yet. 

I've noticed that some bows come pre-rosined, and some don't. I don't know about rehairing. So jmc may be right. Get in touch with the rehairer and ask, cowasaki.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bass, rosin, double bass