Photo

Lightweight hard cello cases - recommendations please!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2979 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:39

My son is off to consevatoire, and although he has a reasonable hard case, we're thinking that a lighter weight one might be a good investment. He'll probably be getting a new cello in the near future so it would mean he had a hard case for each instrument, too. There seem to be a wealth of cases to choose from but how do we pick? I don't really want to spend a fortune, but if it's going to last a long time I don't mind too much what it costs. How much difference is there in practical terms between a case that weighs 5kg and one that weighs 3.5kg, for example?

Any advice would be much appreciated! What I'd really like is someone to say 'This one. Definitiely'!

#2 Bremmer

Bremmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Member: 6584

Posted 17 August 2018 - 18:23

Once you get into lightweight 'proper' cello cases that genuinely offer protection to the instrument, as against styrofoam or semi-rigid, which  I suppose you could say are maybe better than a good cello bag, the lightweight tag tends to come at quite a price. I have a Bam Shuttle with wheels which I think probably equates to the Classic nowadays, the case is excellent, but the wheels, whilst useful on a flat surface are not much good for anything which isn't a good pavement or road. However, I don't think I'd call it exactly a lightweight case.  Bam do of course make a lightweight case, 2.9 kilos but at around £1000 it's pricey. My Bam is now around 20 years old, so the £300 I spent then was not wasted. I can carry it a fair way but wouldn't want to go for a hike with it ...

If you don't get your definitive answer from someone, perhaps it may be worth calling Caswells, who have a very wide range, and a good deal of expertise and experience. They may be able to advise you. They have good descriptions too of each case.  https://www.caswells...&max_price=1696

To be honest when I was teaching cello I ended up mostly using a really good well padded cello bag, which survived without any damage whatsoever to the case or the cello, which is a nice 19C instrument, but not of great value. I did tend to overload it with music so it was a bit of a beast to back pack around. 5-6 kilos, or 3-4 kilos for the price difference, well, it's hard to justify the extra cost. My Bam violin case, with extra pockets and as my only hand luggage when loaded for a flight weighs around 12 kilos.

Much of it depends on the value of the instrument and just how much you want to spend.  

#3 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2979 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 17 August 2018 - 20:10

Thank you. I wondered how much the extra couple of kilos might really matter. My boy is not a careful person so he needs something that'll offer good protection. I'm glad you recommend the Bam, as they looked good but I feel very ignorant about what to choose. I might give
Caswell's a ring and see what they suggest.

#4 GMc

GMc

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Member: 322722

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:09

Well, being mean and amateur and fairly careful I did not shell out for a BAM when I decided that I couldn't lug my 50 year old pristine hard case from carpark to orchestra anymore.  I went for the  eBay Chinese Lankuishang carbon fibre with low expectations.  First one arrived a bit scratched so he sent another so now I have two.  Very good in fact especially for the price  but measure carefully as I have a small German full size cello that is quite narrow and its a great fit but I don't think a wider one would be too good.  Wheels useless like BAM, straps get a bit tangled but unravel OK.  Have to take a bit of care with the fasteners so might not be ideal for the boy.     For me anything would feel light after the massive hard case but I think its about 3. 0kg.  

#5 STRINGMUM

STRINGMUM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Member: 6262

Posted 20 August 2018 - 17:13

Son has had a Bam high tech case for the last 12 years. It has had aa awful lot of use over that time. The catches have now gone but the actual case is still sound. We will try and have them replaced As he’s now travelling much, much more we’ve upgraded it to a lightweight Stevenson case made to fit.

#6 John Cockburn

John Cockburn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Member: 448030
  • Sheffield

Posted 20 August 2018 - 21:08

I was very impressed by a Gewa Air case I saw recently. Not cheap, mind you!

#7 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6294 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 21 August 2018 - 21:00

I use a Hiscox - they're less than £300 I think, but not light. They do withstand being bashed. You can get a harness for it which is around £75 I think - it needs fitting to the case as it has to be riveted onto the case - music shops should do that for you. Genuinely light cases are ridiculously and unjustifiably expensive - carbon fibre is now cheaper than fibreglass, yet cases are typically well over £1,000. 

#8 Alectia

Alectia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 900043

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:34

My daughter carries her cello in Pacato Comodo https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B00V3D1FCU. On Amazon it's "currently unavailable", we've ordered this case on Paganino (and there was a good sale on it that time, ~£150). This case is lightweight, up to 3,8 kg. My daughter is satisfied with it because being a student she has to carry her Palatino a lot.

#9 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 06 February 2020 - 15:31

Hidersine are pretty good value. (non commercial link - posted because the default setting is cello cases). Where do you put the music, though, inside the case? Their polycarb violin cases have music pockets.

https://www.hidersin...cessories/cases