andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10883 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 09 June 2021 - 14:35

Thanks for the suggestions all of you. There are a few things there I hadn't thought of, so I'll take a look at the RHS plant finder. I do use that a lot, but can't really find the right search terms for what I'm after.

It's more of a lollipop effect, Zixi, but irises are a good example of the sort of things I like so I'm not too fussy. I used to have some echinops plants, but they disappeared a long time ago and I haven't found them to buy in many places recently - I shall have to have another look.

Thanks again!

#452 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18843 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 09 June 2021 - 15:59

I'd love some Knipophias  (Red Hot Pokers), but they seem difficult to find round here

#453 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 09 June 2021 - 16:48

You can grow them from seed fsharpminor. I agree; they're wonderful plants and in a range of colours and shapes. They're not just very satisfying architecturally either - they last for ages and ages and ages.

#454 Pickle

Pickle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Member: 578811

Posted 09 June 2021 - 17:39

I spent far too much time during lockdown designing my dream borders. I too love big perennials, so I'll just list some of my wanna haves. (I now have some of them, and others are in the gardens that I "Do" for folks).

Delphinium elatum
Achillea ptarmica
Monarda didyma
Phlomis russeliana
Phlox panniculata
Eupatorum purpureum
Euphorbia wulfenii

And then there are all the architectural grasses I just love....

I want a bigger garden. 15 acres might just about do the trick......maybe a prarie all of my own. I'll keep dreaming.

#455 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20467 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:17

May I put in a recommendation for Thalictrum ?  I bought a couple of plants a few years ago from Beth Chatto, and they are doing well - one in particular is looking spectacular at the moment - almost as tall as I am. Seems totally trouble free - dies down fairly gracefully and surprises me every year. I will look up which one I have - it’s a creamy-white. 

Ps I love the euphorbias too. 

Eta I think mine is T aquilegiifolium album 

https://www.bethchat...s-z/thalictrum/

#456 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8635 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:52

I have finally started to win the grass battle. it has stopped raining and is hot so the worst of the growing season is over and the lawn tractor is working. So much for the wilderness. Someone in this thread did suggest we shouldn't mow too often but when the grass gets to knee height (and some of it is acrually taller than me!) you can't leave it. The garden birds can't land and the cats and dog are confined to the patio. Getting to the washing line is like cutting a path through a jungle.

Close to the house I have a small border that is supposed to be the "civilised" part of our land. But  recently life has got in the way of gardening. So I have come to a decision. Any flowering weed, with the exception of dandelions and thistles, will be allowed to grow  in the border, at least for this year.I came to this conclusion when I noticed the large number of bees enjoying the cornflowers. There are some roses - pink - they look nice with the cornflowers around them and there are two large mallows also thriving.  I've even got some ground cover - a small short plant with tiny red flowers. If you can't beat them ....

#457 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:20

@Aquarelle - I'm in accord with that solution. We've come to the same one here. We need an area to play ball and chase with The Collie but as for the rest, we want the wildlife to have use of it. They were here before us and will be here (I hope) long afterwards. I love thistles! They are so elegant and the colours are nice. But I do understand that you don't want them! I love dandelions. We picked enough dandelions to make wine but it left many many many times more than we picked. I'd love to extend the life of dandelions in a vase so when the next flush appears (and it will) I'm going to experiment with that. BTW the young dandelion plants apparently make a really nice dandelion beer! haven't tried that either...

#458 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8635 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 10 June 2021 - 19:44

Xixi I have thousands of dandelions - well had, the season is mostly over here  now - but they are confined to the wild part of the garden - as are the thistles.

#459 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:03

@Aquarelle - We're just getting a second wave! The field next to us was covered in them in early Spring. Anyway, I've cut one very carefully - apparently you have to be careful not to damage the stem or they will wilt very quickly - and it seems to be lasting well. However, it knows the time and closes up at night. This isn't a sunlight thing either - it seems to be related to the time of day! I have had weeds here which close up because there is insufficient sun. I'm getting very enthusiastic about the number of potential cut flowers I now have in our 'garden'! As I've said, I hate picking flowers but we always had vases of bought fresh flowers in the house. I've really missed that over the last year so this solution is ideal for me. I'm picking the flowers that I'd otherwise be pulling up and still leaving lots for the bees! We're both very impressed with how nice my vases of weeds are and we have wild areas in the garden. Actually, I've added some broad spectrum wild flower mixes to help them along.