andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10811 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 14 May 2020 - 13:09

I've just ordered a bundle of plants from https://plantsavers.co.uk/. They are worth a look if you don't mind a random selection of plants that would otherwise have to be ditched by nurseries because of Covid19. I'll report back when they arrive and tell you what I've got! They are delivering to London and parts of the south east at present, but may expand their delivery area if there is demand.

The plants have arrived! I ordered the perennial selection and received fifteen plants and a bag of compost for £35. The plants look in excellent condition - all decent sizes and healthy. There are three each of campanula muralis, heuchera 'Palace Purple', pulsatilla vulgaris 'Violet', gaillardia aristata and salvia 'Edula Blue'. Having looked them all up on the RHS website there is a good mix of colours and seasonal interest, and should go some way to filling my now-cleared borders. I'm really glad I took the plunge and ordered blind, as there are plants there I probably wouldn't have bought (mainly because I hadn't heard of a couple of them!). :)

#227 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20051 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 14 May 2020 - 15:58

Ooh yes - I would have mentioned a couple of those if I’d thought of them last week! The dark foliage of the Heuchera makes a lovely contrast with lighter foliage or blooms. I don’t know ‘Edula Blue’  but the perennial salvias in general are good.

Sounds like a nice mix - good value too ! 

#228 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4972 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 31 May 2020 - 13:30

All spare home grown veg plants now rehomed with grateful neighbours, and everyone got what they wanted, which was lucky as I didn't know what they would want, or how many seeds would germinate. Result! :) Best phone conversation was "Do you eat peppers?". Chap turns to his wife and says "Do I eat peppers?"  :lol: 

#229 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20051 posts
  • S E England

Posted 31 May 2020 - 14:40

All spare home grown veg plants now rehomed with grateful neighbours, and everyone got what they wanted, which was lucky as I didn't know what they would want, or how many seeds would germinate. Result! :) Best phone conversation was "Do you eat peppers?". Chap turns to his wife and says "Do I eat peppers?"  :lol:

Oh wonderful! That’s made my afternoon :-D 

And well done with your veg plants.  I’ve actually managed to germinate a couple of pepper plants from a supermarket pepper. 

(Yes - fInally!)  No fruit yet, but fingers crossed.  

Also have a few baby basil plants, but the coriander has get to germinate. Anyone know how long it takes ? I did soak the seed briefly.  

#230 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4972 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 16:11

Really good about the peppers - I hope your Capsicum Asdaii set fruit! If not, let me know and I'll send you some California Wonder seeds for sowing next year.

The RHS website says 7 - 20 days for coriander to germinate, if sown from June - Sept, so maybe they'll be a bit slower if you put them in earlier? The seed also need to be less than 2 years old and not sown too deeply. What delicious meals are you going to cook with your basil and coriander?

#231 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20051 posts
  • S E England

Posted 31 May 2020 - 18:47

Thank you Norway - that’s very kind.  Coriander was sown (second attempt!) last wednesday, so not a week yet. I’ll keep checking! 

I look forward to tomato salad with fresh basil and a splash of olive oil or vinaigrette. 

Coriander will top almost any veggie dishes. 

Do you like coriander? 

#232 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6449 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 31 May 2020 - 19:44

If you end up with loads of coriander, here's a recipe I stole off some website- coriander chutney. Blend a bunch of coriander with half an inch of ginger, half a teaspoon of cumin, and a lemon. It's lovely with rice and curry.

#233 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 31 May 2020 - 20:46

My first batch of Coriander in February germinated in a couple of weeks. The lot I did last week only took 2 days. Any leftovers goes to the rabbits - they both love it! Its been so hot here (midlands) that my potatoes, beans, peas, tomatoes, courgettes & cucumbers are all in flower. We have more salad than we can eat, even with two rabbits and a tortoise. Weirdly the kids are happily eating kale in their salads, despite never having touched it before!

#234 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4972 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:58

I'm not sure that I've ever eaten coriander Maggiemay. It sounds like you have some good crops coming on there Zwhe. What varieties are you doing? I'm growing lettuce (Roxy), outdoor cucumbers (Marketmore), marrows (Bush Baby), yellow courgettes (Goldrush), Florence fennel (Zefa Fino), peppers (California Wonder), aubergines (Black Beauty) and cherry and beef steak tomatoes (Black Cherry and Cuor di Bue). All of these are looking really strong (so far....!) :fingersCrossed:

#235 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6449 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted Yesterday, 10:50

My exotic herbs are thriving in the hot weather- kaffir lime, curry leaf and Vietnamese coriander. I either can't buy those in supermarkets or they cost a bomb.