dcvos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Member: 461632
  • Netherlands, near Utrecht

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:12

Tomorrow a great co-worker will retire. I've worked with him for ten years. A few years ago I played clarinet for an other co-worker who went with retirement and when I heard about his leaving I decided to paly also for him. There will be around 50 people listening. The event will take place in the restaurant at my work. It is connected to the big open hall so anybody who walks there can hear me

I have chosen three pieces I Iike to play and still have to decide which one I will play for him.

One piece, Cloudy sky, is the most difficult from the three but  I have played it  for an audience before, in Egham two years ago. When I played "Cloudy sky" in Egham my clarinet squeeked, but I didn't care at the moment because I knew everybody present knew that clarinets do that sometimes. But now I play for a totally different public. Some have some musical background but most haven't. I'm afraid it squeekes again and people will laugh.

The second, Song of the lark, a kind of ballad, from the book "Irish melodies", is the longest, I practiced it with my teacher when I told her what I wanted to do. I like the mood of the piece but I'm not sure If I can keep the mood up the whole piece because of it's length.

The third is the easiest, Sea of tenderness, from "Folk 'n more",  I also practiced this one with my teacher. I'm afraid it is too simple to be attractive for the audience, but I like the melancholical mood of it. It has a repeat but because it simpler than the Irish song it is easier to keep focus. But I play this song just since a month.

#2 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1282 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 30 January 2017 - 17:16

What a beautiful, beautiful thing to do for a retiring colleague. I really hope the occasion goes well.

#3 dcvos

dcvos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 18:07

Thank you. I'm always very nervous.

#4 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Member: 665504
  • South West

Posted 30 January 2017 - 20:12

From a perpetually nervous player, I would suggest playing the one you are most comfortable with. I'm sure those listening won't consider it "too simple" and hopefully you'll then be able to enjoy the experience :)

#5 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 30 January 2017 - 20:50

From a perpetually nervous player, I would suggest playing the one you are most comfortable with. I'm sure those listening won't consider it "too simple" and hopefully you'll then be able to enjoy the experience :)

Good advice.

Enjoy.

#6 dcvos

dcvos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 18:21

I did play the easiest piece. Everything went fine. I got a lot of positive comments. They told me that I played very well and that they'll never dare to do it. And off course it was very appreciated by my co-worker.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clarinet