13 replies to this topic

#1 rhelens

rhelens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Member: 893127

Posted 26 December 2016 - 20:23

I'm looking to buy a new violin case, and have wanted a carbon fibre one for a long time for their sturdiness and lightness. I also want to buy a more durable and protective case as I will soon be upgrading to a more expensive violin. Does anyone have any experiences or opinions on any particular brands? I'm looking for something with a fair amount of quality for the price (I'm not looking to spend a huuuuuge amount)

#2 rhelens

rhelens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 20:33

or alternatively, any other higher quality cases I should look at?

#3 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3781 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 26 December 2016 - 21:49

It all depends on what your top requirements are in a case and what your budget is. You can get cheap cases under £100 and spend over £2000 with little effort!

#4 rhelens

rhelens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 21:55

I'd say durability and good protection- possibly lasting at least 10 years if such a thing exists?  I'm looking to spend under £1000 (that would be the maximum limit) but I'm somewhat flexible. Any experiences people have had are welcome so I can expand my knowledge a bit!

#5 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6195 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:28

I'm a cellist and have looked at CF cases, but cello ones are ridiculously expensive (start at £900). My observation on what I've seen is they seem to scuff quite easily. To be honest, given the weight of a violin, I can't see weight being a justifying reason to go for CF, unlike a cello where it knocks a couple of kilos off the weight. Unless its aethetics?

#6 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3781 posts
  • South London

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:41

I'm a cellist and have looked at CF cases, but cello ones are ridiculously expensive (start at £900). My observation on what I've seen is they seem to scuff quite easily. To be honest, given the weight of a violin, I can't see weight being a justifying reason to go for CF, unlike a cello where it knocks a couple of kilos off the weight. Unless its aethetics?

I think it makes a difference if you carry the instrument in your hand rather than on your back. As for cost decent CF cases start around £400 for violin variants.

In my opinion I think the interior of just about all CF cases are very bland. As for te exterior you can get any colour imaginable quite easily from the mainstream manufacturers. I have also heard the rumour about them scuffing easily.

Also CF cases don't come with full length music pockets and sometimes music pockets are an optional extra so that may be something to take into consideration. Other things to consider if you use public transport is how well built is the subway handle as you'll use it a lot, I certainly do.

I've just bought a new violin case, to be delivered soon, an oblong wooden one which is replacing a polyfoam oblong which is wearing out and has quite a lot of scuffs on it. I considered the weight, which is heavier than my current one, but not a problem as I nearly always carry it on my back. I also considered how well built the lock mechanism is, the ribbon/strap for holding the instrument in place and how long lasting the subway handle is as I use public transport all the time. Additionally I checked there was enough space for the accessories I need to carry round such as shoulder rest, pencils, rosin, cleaning cloth etc...

#7 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:44

I've just bought a new violin case, to be delivered soon, an oblong wooden one which is replacing a polyfoam oblong which is wearing out and has quite a lot of scuffs on it. I considered the weight, which is heavier than my current one, but not a problem as I nearly always carry it on my back. I also considered how well built the lock mechanism is, the ribbon/strap for holding the instrument in place and how long lasting the subway handle is as I use public transport all the time. Additionally I checked there was enough space for the accessories I need to carry round such as shoulder rest, pencils, rosin, cleaning cloth etc...

What is a subway handle?

If you carry it on your back doesn't it stay there throughout your journey? That is unless it's a long journey.

#8 rhelens

rhelens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:50

aesthetics is part of it, but carrying my violin at the moment is often a struggle when I'm also carrying a full school bag and multiple folders. My music makes up most of the weight, but as the case is already heavy ish it makes the situation worse.

#9 rhelens

rhelens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:51

CF aside, any opinions on higher quality cases is much apprectiated

#10 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3781 posts
  • South London

Posted 27 December 2016 - 15:16

What is a subway handle?

If you carry it on your back doesn't it stay there throughout your journey? That is unless it's a long journey.

Handle on the end of an oblong or crescent shaped case is for holding it upright. Originally intended for use on the subway and I presume invented in the USA.

When using public transport I usually take the case off my back as it is often crowded and I'd end up bumping into everyone and annoying them. Plus it is more comfortable to take it off and hold the case by the subway handle when standing on a train/bus/tram/whatever or if seated I tend to lean it against the seat next to me if it is not too busy.

#11 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17674 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 27 December 2016 - 18:36

As I mentioned on another thread we bought a Gewa case (£250-300) a few years ago and has proved very good. You can have a shaped or an oblong one...

https://gb.gewamusic...nt=24&mode=grid

There are a number of UK supplier sincluding The String Zone

#12 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 27 December 2016 - 22:42

Not carbon fibre but the Hiscox flight cases are very good and sturdy, and not too heavy. I have the shaped violin case - they cost around £100

#13 OlderAussie

OlderAussie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Member: 893292
  • South-east Australia

Posted 27 December 2016 - 22:59

Not at all up with violin cases  - just wondering if some of the cases have a little strap with a press stud for holding the bow in place?  My older case has this and I wonder why it's not standard.   My new case (quite cheap but with a water resistant cover and which I bought for my more recently purchased old violin) has one of those twisting things which can get caught on the bow hair - or I have to touch the hair with fingers to ensure it's not.  

Prefer the handle on the older case too - yes, comfort  is an important consideration.  

#14 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6195 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:43

My cello case is a Hiscox - they are very robust. This link is to Hiscox page giving details of their various cases. Vioin cases are about 5lb and cello over 12lb weight (mine is the OCW which weighs in at over 14lb i.e. 1 stone...). They make a back-pack system which can be added to cases.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carbon, fibre, violin, case