475 replies to this topic

#466 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19514 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 28 September 2022 - 15:41

Dug out Schumann Arabesque Op18, not touched for years.  Heard it played live in semi final  of the 'Leeds'  competition I think 2009, by Sofia Gulyak who went on to win the final. But its quite straightforward to play, no harder than a Grade 8 piece,   I am quite fond of Schumann , but have ignored him for a while. Might resurrect Faschingsschwank Aus Wien as well.   And 'Waldscenen'   (9 pieces) also nothing harder than Grade 8.   

#467 agricola

agricola

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2007 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 30 September 2022 - 11:09

Dug out Schumann Arabesque Op18, not touched for years.  Heard it played live in semi final  of the 'Leeds'  competition I think 2009, by Sofia Gulyak who went on to win the final. But its quite straightforward to play, no harder than a Grade 8 piece,   I am quite fond of Schumann , but have ignored him for a while. Might resurrect Faschingsschwank Aus Wien as well.   And 'Waldscenen'   (9 pieces) also nothing harder than Grade 8.   

I also find my interest in Schumann is on and off.  The last thing I played of his was Chiarina from Carnaval which I put fore and aft of an excerpt from a piece by Clara Schumann.  I can't remember what that was now but the whole thing made an enjoyable sandwich. 

I have a pupil doing the Romanze Op 28 no 2 for Grade 8 so I've been revising that; I play the Arabesque occasionally and Kinderszenen is good to play through too but in general I find with both Schumann and Brahms that I can only be bothered to learn the easier end of their output.  

#468 Largissimo

Largissimo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Member: 900912

Posted 16 October 2022 - 14:39

I'm mainly learning a small piano sonata in F minor I wrote over the summer. It's not like anyone else going to play it!

I dug the Schumann "Arabesque" out recently. I can mostly play, it, though the second episode has some awkward moments and I can't quite pull of the transitions back to the main theme somehow. A lot of Schumann's piano music seems to be harder than it sounds, and I've certainly heard some underwhelming performances of it even by professionals!

#469 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19514 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 17:39

I'm mainly learning a small piano sonata in F minor I wrote over the summer. It's not like anyone else going to play it!

I dug the Schumann "Arabesque" out recently. I can mostly play, it, though the second episode has some awkward moments and I can't quite pull of the transitions back to the main theme somehow. A lot of Schumann's piano music seems to be harder than it sounds, and I've certainly heard some underwhelming performances of it even by professionals!

Do have a look at 'Waldscenen'  9 pieces  depicting a walk in the woods.  Four or five have been in Grade 8 syllabus (1,2.5,6,9)others lower, one (Einsame Blumen) only about Grade 4. Love playing No 9 Abschied, with lots of 3 against 4 rhythms)

#470 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19514 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 18:23

I am working on parts of 'Bénédiction de Dieu dans la Solitude'  by Liszt but I don't think I will ever be able to play all of it.

#471 Largissimo

Largissimo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 19:48

Do have a look at 'Waldscenen'  9 pieces  depicting a walk in the woods.  Four or five have been in Grade 8 syllabus (1,2.5,6,9)others lower, one (Einsame Blumen) only about Grade 4. Love playing No 9 Abschied, with lots of 3 against 4 rhythms)

I might have to get hold of those! My piano shelf doens't have much Schumann of a standard between "Kinderszenen" (mostly pretty easy) and "Fantasiestucke" (stunning music, but way beyond my abilities.)

#472 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19514 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 20:40

I might have to get hold of those! My piano shelf doens't have much Schumann of a standard between "Kinderszenen" (mostly pretty easy) and "Fantasiestucke" (stunning music, but way beyond my abilities.)

Yes Waldscenen will be just right for you then

#473 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 04 November 2022 - 10:33

Rachmaninov Etudes-Tableaux Op 39 No 6

#474 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 09 November 2022 - 09:27

Hmmmmm .... perhaps not. Revisiting LvB's Rondo in C Op 51/1 as a pick me up.

#475 Largissimo

Largissimo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 12:08

I have the complete Etudes-Tableaux somewhere. I once attempted to learn one of them. That was a while ago....

#476 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19514 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 15:21

I have the complete Etudes-Tableaux somewhere. I once attempted to learn one of them. That was a while ago....

The G minor in the first set is not too difficult