456 replies to this topic

#451 Largissimo

Largissimo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Member: 900912

Posted 22 July 2022 - 22:49

I've gone back to 3 early Baroque pieces I was working on last year. "Capriccio sopra la Bassa Fiamenga" by Frescobaldi- a contrapunctal fantasia on a Flemish song. "Cantilena Anglica Fortunae" by Samuel Scheidt - variations on an English song. And "Pavane: L'Entretien des Dieux" by Chambonnieres. Three composers I'd like to get to know better.

#452 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 25 July 2022 - 16:44

Re-acquainting myself with some piano duets (Secondo, my speciality) in the hope I can persuade my neighbour to revisit the Primo. Mozart sonata, Bach transcription or two, some Peer Gynt and hopefully new ground with some Schubert.

#453 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 16:56

Linden Lea to accompany my soprano near-neighbour. Played it recently for the first time in ages (probably since well before lock-down Mk I) and it was pretty grim. Thankfully I was on my own....

#454 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1997 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 29 July 2022 - 18:16

Sonata in G, op 4 no 4 by Clementi. A tiny two-movement sonata. The second is a slow minuet that reminds me a lot of Clementi's pupil, John Field.

Talking of Field, I’m currently looking at his Nocturne in Bb major H.37 - the first Nocturne I’ve ever looked at!

I heard Nocturne in B flat by Szymanowska on Radio 3 this morning without having caught the title and my first guess was that it was by Field.  I've downloaded it and might give it a go.  Also returning to practising about half of the Chopin Preludes.

#455 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 21:07

Sonata in G, op 4 no 4 by Clementi. A tiny two-movement sonata. The second is a slow minuet that reminds me a lot of Clementi's pupil, John Field.

Talking of Field, I’m currently looking at his Nocturne in Bb major H.37 - the first Nocturne I’ve ever looked at!

I heard Nocturne in B flat by Szymanowska on Radio 3 this morning without having caught the title and my first guess was that it was by Field.  I've downloaded it and might give it a go.  Also returning to practising about half of the Chopin Preludes.

Do you play the A-flat prelude agricola?? I am always confusing myself about how best to play the overlapping chords :(

#456 Largissimo

Largissimo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Member: 900912

Posted 30 July 2022 - 17:36

Working on a Toccata in F by Pasquini, two Sonatas in C by Scarlatti (Kp 132-3) and a Passacaglia by Muffat. I'm a bit obsessed with Baroque music these days, but for years I avoided it like the plague. I'm still a bit Bach-phobic. These are from the ABRSM "Baroque Keyboard Pieces vol 5". I also have volume 3 and should probably hunt down the others, as unlike other Baroque anthologies they're not crammed full of Bach and Handel pieces that you already have elsewhere.

#457 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1997 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 01 August 2022 - 17:58

Do you play the A-flat prelude agricola?? I am always confusing myself about how best to play the overlapping chords :(

Yes I've played that one occasionally over a long period of time.  My edition suggests right hand over left but I've just played it through and I swap around quite often.  I first learnt it as a teenager so my fingering is on autopilot by now!  I actually prefer the Op Post A flat Prelude B86.