#421 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:26

Yes I keep going back to the '48'  to learn another one. I generally still prefer Book 2 and my favourite is no 14 (F# minor of course). Lovely lyrical Prelude, but the difficult fugue makes it a LRSM piece.   I'm still trying to master one of the last 5 Beethoven Sonatas. I'm not far off with Op110 , but I must practice that fugue rather more !  Also working on Liszt  'Bénédiction de Dieu dans la solitude'  

I used to be able to play most of Op 110 (a very fine work) but never the fugue, alas. I have always admired Stephen Hough's Bénédiction with its filigree like passages. Although being picky, the piece is somewhat overlong in my opinion.

I keep trying to get the Gmajor prelude from Bk II up to speed but no joy yet..... sigh... but I have better results from the beautiful Fminor P&F (Bk II)

Stephen Hough was born and raised in our small town. He is amazing  !  Ive also been playing a couple of less demanding pieces from the same Liszt set. But I don't expect to even attempt 'Funérailles' .    Going back to WTC2 , yes the F minors is not too difficult. Two less demanding ones from Book 2 are the C minor (no2) and Eflat major (no 7), I play the EFlat quite often..

Stephen on exceedingly good form here (from a very fine album):

https://www.youtube....h?v=vIGDgaP2FYI

Back on topic, revisiting the Sarabande from Pour le Piano

#422 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:44

Bach WTC 1 E flat / D sharp minor

Haydn Sonata No.50 in C

Debussy Ondine and Cloches a travers les feuilles

#423 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19134 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:00

Haydn Sonata No.50 in C

I play that Haydn , tricky little thirds !  Its known as the English Sonata. But his real masterpiece is the last one in Eflat, written at the time he was giving Beethoven lessons (But Beethoven said he never learned anything from him). The No 52 in Eflat is contemporary with Beethovens early Sonatas.  Hm I havent touched Debussy for at least a year !

#424 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 15 January 2022 - 16:32

Haydn Sonata No.50 in C

I play that Haydn , tricky little thirds ! 

Indeed! Very fiddly thirds, especially in the finale. I particularly like the slow movement

I'm thinking of using this all as the basis for a future LTCL (with more Debussy).

#425 Largissimo

Largissimo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 900912

Posted 15 January 2022 - 22:26

Haydn Sonata No.50 in C

I play that Haydn , tricky little thirds !  Its known as the English Sonata. But his real masterpiece is the last one in Eflat, written at the time he was giving Beethoven lessons (But Beethoven said he never learned anything from him). The No 52 in Eflat is contemporary with Beethovens early Sonatas.  Hm I havent touched Debussy for at least a year !

Is 52 the one with the absolutely stunning adagio in E? Beyond my abilities, but I love it.

#426 EllieD

EllieD

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1006 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 16 January 2022 - 11:17

I keep trying to get the Gmajor prelude from Bk II up to speed but no joy yet..... sigh... but I have better results from the beautiful Fminor P&F (Bk II)

Coincidence! I've just started trying this! But does it matter too much about being up to speed? Because what is that speed? Bach hasn't marked a tempo (as far as I know) and I find the P&F's seem to be more in line with technical exercises than show pieces (my opinion!) so surely playing it at a speed that works for you is all that matters? I just listened to it on Youtube - doubt I'll get it so fast, but there's a nice sound to it which would surely work a bit slower too? Also the commentary I have in my book (D F Tovey) suggests it shouldn't be prestissimo ... So I'm not put off and will enjoy giving it a go!

#427 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19134 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 11:22

Haydn Sonata No.50 in C

Is 52 the one with the absolutely stunning adagio in E? Beyond my abilities, but I love it.

Yes, strange that second movement is in E , after Eflat .It the hardest movment to play well.

#428 jch48

jch48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Member: 25823
  • East Midlands

Posted 19 January 2022 - 12:44

Re E major for the middle movement of Haydn's final sonata in E flat, surely no accident that E major makes a surprise appearance in the development section. Abruptly after a I V in c minor iirc.

#429 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19134 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 15:46

Re E major for the middle movement of Haydn's final sonata in E flat, surely no accident that E major makes a surprise appearance in the development section. Abruptly after a I V in c minor iirc.

Yes some wonderful key change surprises in the first movement