#391 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1931 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 19 October 2021 - 09:12

Keep the spam down everyone and reply even if you're shy about your lowly level. It's interesting to hear about everybody's progress and problems!

I agree; from the teaching perspective it's always interesting and useful to know what people want to play at any level.  The hardest attractive repertoire to find for adult players is actually at the Initial Grade level where pieces are starting to move out of 5-finger position.  Also I always check out pieces people mention at any grade if I haven't come across them before as I love finding new and different pieces to play.

#392 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 19 October 2021 - 10:14

Keep the spam down everyone and reply even if you're shy about your lowly level. It's interesting to hear about everybody's progress and problems!

I'm relearning Scarlatti K27 and Mozart K332 with my newish teacher who is much more picky about baroque and classical articulation. (Slurs in Mozart, anyone?)
I've nearly got Dario Marinelli's "Dawn" from the Pride and Prejudice film music off by heart, which is a big achievement for my poor brain. I might just volunteer it in the music school Christmas concert...

I am playing K.27 as well - along with Chopin E-flat waltz (No. 17 or B.46 apparently) .

#393 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18996 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 19 October 2021 - 13:23

I'm relearning Scarlatti K27 and Mozart K332 with my newish teacher who is much more picky about baroque and classical articulation. (Slurs in Mozart, anyone?)
I've nearly got Dario Marinelli's "Dawn" from the Pride and Prejudice film music off by heart, which is a big achievement for my poor brain. I might just volunteer it in the music school Christmas concert...

I am playing K.27 as well - along with Chopin E-flat waltz (No. 17 or B.46 apparently) .

I know Scarlatti K27 (B minor) with the crossing hands, but I have never seen that Chopin waltz before. My book does include some of the Op Posth 'B' numbered ones but not that one.  Thought I'd played all the waltzes at some time or other. Learnt first one  (B Minor) for a competition in 1957 !  

#394 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 19 October 2021 - 14:03

Quite a few ongoing pieces from the current Trinity G8 syllabus, one of which is No 6 (Words Fail) from Janacek's On An Overgrown Path. Earlier in lockdown I discovered No 10 (The Little Owl is still Screeching)  - on IMSLP - and the other week, after hearing a performance on the radio, I randomly had a stab at No 7 (Good Night). It's now on my to-learn list. Thinking about getting the whole set in a proper book - Barenreiter edition looks good.  

Other lockdown discovery (Oxfam this time!) is Clementi Sonata Op 7 No 3 - 2nd mvt. Learned for a Zoom 'themed' event and it's really grown on me. Not at all like the sonatinas.

#395 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18996 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 14:30

I play several of those pieces, and my edition is Barenreiter, which is excellent.   Beside the usual 'Path'  it has two pieces from a second series, and three extra pieces called Paralipomena.  I also play a few Clementi Sonatas but don't know that Op 7 one.  Suggest to try Op24 No 2 in B flat. Daughter played it for Grade 8 in about 1992 or 3, the last syllabus where a whole Sonata was required for Grade 8.   I agree they aren't like those Op 36 simple Sonatinas. They are mature Sonatas, more like the later Haydn ones than anything .

#396 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:48

Thanks for the tip! 

#397 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:57

Janacek has really grown on me over the last year  :)  The first and third movements of In the Mists are a similar level to the other stuff you mentioned! 

#398 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1813 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 20 October 2021 - 11:17

I really enjoyed getting into some Janacek too and learned The Owl, (have fun trying to find out which species is really meant!) and The Madonna out of On an Overgrown Path - just the book title is alluring. I've also got the Barenreiter edition which is nice and clear and has background notes to the pieces and style.

#399 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1931 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:21

I have Peters edition of Janacek which gives the owl species as a barn owl in the contents page but little owl in the title of the piece -- however the owl call in the music sounds like a tawny to me!  I suspect Janacek was thinking of a barn owl though, as they make a strange hissing sound and appear suddenly and silently at dusk.  I had a pupil learn this piece for Grade 8 a few years ago and I also found that Janacek grew on me over time.  

#400 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:47

I thought this was a reference to strzyga (a demon in Slavic mythology) rather than a literal owl of any kind? This also just reminded me of Messiaen's owl piece in Catalogue d'oiseaux which is of a similar mood. Apparently a lot of people have negative views of owls...

#401 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1931 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:41

I thought this was a reference to strzyga (a demon in Slavic mythology) rather than a literal owl of any kind? This also just reminded me of Messiaen's owl piece in Catalogue d'oiseaux which is of a similar mood. Apparently a lot of people have negative views of owls...

Yes, I tried Sycek in google translate and it came up with 'croaker' which could be the demon's name? -- the barn owl is also known as the 'demon' owl so it all ties up with Janacek's loss of his daughter. 

However the actual piece has a definite sound of tawnies calling to each other.  We have them in the spinney behind our house and I've always thought of them as having a 'merry note' as in Shakespeare's poem.

#402 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18996 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 14:51

I have Peters edition of Janacek which gives the owl species as a barn owl in the contents page but little owl in the title of the piece -- however the owl call in the music sounds like a tawny to me!  I suspect Janacek was thinking of a barn owl though, as they make a strange hissing sound and appear suddenly and silently at dusk.  I had a pupil learn this piece for Grade 8 a few years ago and I also found that Janacek grew on me over time.  

It was set Grade 8 in 2015....   seems fairly easy for Grade 8.    Nos 1 (2009) ,2 (2001),and 3(1998) have all been set for Grade 7 before. 'In the Mists' no 1 has been three times in Grade 8