Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 09 December 2019 - 20:36

I'm getting a bit worried, since my major op, I am nowhere near the standard of what I was pre-op, and I have to perform something on Saturday - I know not what. I have just made an abomination  of a Bach P&F (Bk2 No 14), and a Debussy piece (Suite Bergamasque Prelude), and Beethoven first movement of Op26 (Pastoral), all of which I could previously play perfectly.  I might have to do something rather easier than my normal repertoire.  

Oh dear, I really hope it's nothing serious or permanent.  What about some Haydn, JC Bach and Mozart?

#347 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17671 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 09 December 2019 - 20:48

I'm getting a bit worried, since my major op, I am nowhere near the standard of what I was pre-op, and I have to perform something on Saturday - I know not what. I have just made an abomination  of a Bach P&F (Bk2 No 14), and a Debussy piece (Suite Bergamasque Prelude), and Beethoven first movement of Op26 (Pastoral), all of which I could previously play perfectly.  I might have to do something rather easier than my normal repertoire.  

Oh dear, I really hope it's nothing serious or permanent.  What about some Haydn, JC Bach and Mozart?

You may be right, I have played before all the 52 Haydn Sonatas. All 19 Mozart Sonatas I have been playing for over 50 years, (though only a couple of JC Bachs) , and have performed several  at this same monthly event  (I missed the last three months meetings).  I'll try through a couple tomorrow. 

#348 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3755 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 09 December 2019 - 21:50

I have just googled All Creatures Great and small sheet music and I found it on musescore as a PDF you could print. Presumably it's ok to do so as it seems to be impossible to buy it.

#349 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from the Rhubarb Triangle, Heavy Woollen District, Yorkshire

Posted 09 December 2019 - 22:47

You may be right, I have played before all the 52 Haydn Sonatas. All 19 Mozart Sonatas I have been playing for over 50 years, (though only a couple of JC Bachs) , and have performed several  at this same monthly event  (I missed the last three months meetings).  I'll try through a couple tomorrow. 

I am sure you will be given a very warm welcome back to the meetup and whatever you decide to play will be enjoyed.

#350 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6171 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted Yesterday, 04:08

I'm getting a bit worried, since my major op, I am nowhere near the standard of what I was pre-op, and I have to perform something on Saturday - I know not what. I have just made an abomination of a Bach P&F (Bk2 No 14), and a Debussy piece (Suite Bergamasque Prelude), and Beethoven first movement of Op26 (Pastoral), all of which I could previously play perfectly. I might have to do something rather easier than my normal repertoire.

A major operation like that would take some toll on the body. Do be gentle on yourself and I hope the performance goes ok.

#351 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted Yesterday, 05:50

Anaesthetics and strong pain-killers can muck things up too. Select easier pieces for a while and give your whole body time to get back to pre-op level with regards to your playing.
Hope all goes well.

#352 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted Yesterday, 07:40

It takes time, best wishes for a quick recovery! 

#353 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted Yesterday, 09:10

I have just googled All Creatures Great and small sheet music and I found it on musescore as a PDF you could print. Presumably it's ok to do so as it seems to be impossible to buy it.

Thank you! I've got it! :)

F#m - You really don't need to play anything hard! If anyone is expecting you to turn up and rattle off some complicated piece, I would be very surprised! Even very simple music played well is worthy of performance, so don't pressure yourself, just choose something nice that you enjoy! 

#354 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted Yesterday, 12:40

Exam over so last night I started looking at Grieg Notturno (Lyric Pieces). I had a little mosey in the summer and now picking up the piece again. 

#355 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17671 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:07

Exam over so last night I started looking at Grieg Notturno (Lyric Pieces). I had a little mosey in the summer and now picking up the piece again. 

I like playing those pieces with a 2 v 3, or 4 v 6 rhythms like the Notturno. Another one is the last of 9 pieces in Schumanns 'Waldscenen (Forest Scenes), which has appeared in Gr 8 syllabus a few times. 

#356 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17671 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:13

Thank you! I've got it! :)

F#m - You really don't need to play anything hard! If anyone is expecting you to turn up and rattle off some complicated piece, I would be very surprised! Even very simple music played well is worthy of performance, so don't pressure yourself, just choose something nice that you enjoy! 

Before my op the previous two meetings I played two of the movements from Beethovens late Sonata Op110. Promised them the fugue movement next time, but it will have to wait for a bit .  Have decided to play on Saturday 1st movement of Beethoven Op10 No2 which I played for my ALCM Dip in 1963. Gee, thats 56 and a half years ago !