corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6165 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 12 November 2019 - 19:56

Still working on the Chopin A flat Polonaise op. 53. Taken me six years but finally getting there.

#332 wendym

wendym

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Member: 899027
  • Kent

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:41

I’ve just discovered Haydn and am thoroughly enjoying it - playing the XVI 49 E flat major sonata and it’s such a joy to play!

I have played most of the Haydn sonatas at various times.  By far the best is the last one , No 52, could have been by Beethoven and is contemporary with Beethovens early sonatas. Many of the early ones are relatively trivial. You have to get to no 23 in F and also 29 (also in F) to get a decent one. I particularly like no 23. otherwise its the last dozen or so like the 49 you are doing and also no 50 (Known as the English sonata) which give satisfaction

I’m still relatively new to Haydn (have only been playing piano for about 6 years and there’s a lot to get through!) but definitely enjoying it - something about the style just works for me - I was prompted by my teacher to get started with an earlier G major sonata which was relatively simple but enough to get me interested - and then went on to sight read through most of the sonatas up to 49 which I’ve settled on for now and hope to play for a little concert in a month’s time. I so get the Beethoven connection with the later ones - love it!

#333 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:28

What other G1 piano pieces do you know? 

As well as Creepy Crawly; Bluemerang,(Haughton) In the Pink, (Chapple) Grasshopper (Papp)  In the Boat,(Rybicki)  Polovtsian Dance (arr) Song of Erin,(Dunhill) Tender Flower,(Swinstead) Vampire Blues (Wooding) Water Lilies (Gillock).  Post Grade 1 Flying above the Cloud (Bullard) is very popular

What other G1 piano pieces do you know? 

As well as Creepy Crawly; Bluemerang,(Haughton) In the Pink, (Chapple) Grasshopper (Papp)  In the Boat,(Rybicki)  Polovtsian Dance (arr) Song of Erin,(Dunhill) Tender Flower,(Swinstead) Vampire Blues (Wooding) Water Lilies (Gillock).  Post Grade 1 Flying above the Cloud (Bullard) is very popular

Thanks! 

#334 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from the Rhubarb Triangle, Heavy Woollen District, Yorkshire

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:40

I think that after my current piece for study, Schubert Impromptu in Aflat major, I am going to retire from learning any new difficult music.

#335 wendym

wendym

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Member: 899027
  • Kent

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:51

I think that after my current piece for study, Schubert Impromptu in Aflat major, I am going to retire from learning any new difficult music.

I remember a couple of years back, after learning the E flat impromptu and finally coming to grips with most of it (I probably wasn’t quite ready for it at the time and found it really hard!) - and having a moment where I thought it was done and my teacher turned a page and I was horrified to find a n entire Coda I had somehow completely missed. So horrified that I closed the book and haven’t opened it since! Perhaps I’ll pick it up again in the new year...