pianist-matt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Member: 93853
  • Dorset, United Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2016 - 16:37

Hi,

I am a classically trained pianist with four years of undergraduate study under my belt.

I'm really keen to explore Jazz piano and would like suggestions of any good books I could begin with.

Thanks

#2 jelly roll harris

jelly roll harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Member: 284834

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:05

I've found that, although there are many books aimed at jazz pianists, very few of them actually hit the spot.

I've picked up most tips from youtube, actually. I like Kent Hewitt, Jazzedge, 7 note mode, DantheComposer, and many more.

Good luck.

I think Dominic Aldiss (sp)? has produced a book aimed specifically at classical pianists wanting to explore jazz.

#3 Jo0425

Jo0425

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Member: 27227
  • Near London

Posted 28 October 2016 - 13:59

I had the Dominic Aldiss book for years, and never made any headway with it, as I found it too dry.  Would recommend Tim Richards series of books; maybe you could start with Exploring Jazz Piano 1. There's a CD to play along with and the new concepts are introduced with actual pieces/ standards.

But - what really made things begin to click with me was attending some jazz piano evening classes and seeing others put all the theory into practice.

#4 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 28 October 2016 - 17:58

I think we all have our personal preferences. I found the Dominic Aldiss book the most helpful in the early stages as he understands how classically trained players are generally used to thinking and he really helps to build up the vocabulary needed to begin to make that transition, and I didn't myself find it dry. In comparison the ABRSM's teacher's book starts very well but for me it jumped in level rather around the middle. I agree about the Tim Richards books, they're very good although I must admit I haven't worked through much of mine yet but that's down to lack of time more than anything else.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Piano, jazz, beginner, experience