Photo

Suggestions for a Grade 8 standard Boogie?

piano grade 8 jazz boogie

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iluviradio

iluviradio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 893599

Posted 12 October 2016 - 19:41

I'm doing a piano recital exam, and a friend suggested I do a boogie as a contrast with all my other pieces which are very classical and slow tempo.

I thought this sounds like a great idea but then I realised I don't know the first place to look! I'm not looking for pieces that require improvisation because I have no idea how to do that and it has to be grade 8 standard or higher, but I also only have a few weeks left to practise so I don't want it to be impossible either!

The easiest way for me to be able to do it is if I absolutely love the piece and then I'll enjoy learning it so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :) Anything that can be got online would be handier as I want to be able to start it straight away rather than waiting for a book to be delivered!

Thanks in Advance! ^_^ 

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3751 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 12 October 2016 - 19:50

I'm not sure whether this is a Boogie, but in the Grade 8 2009_10 book, Alligator Crawl by Fats Waller was very popular.

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17664 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 12 October 2016 - 20:13

Try the Sonatina in G by Kapustin. Has been set for G8, not boogie but definitely Jazz style

#4 iluviradio

iluviradio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 893599

Posted 12 October 2016 - 21:49

I'm not sure whether this is a Boogie, but in the Grade 8 2009_10 book, Alligator Crawl by Fats Waller was very popular.

Oh this is lovely, and it sounds doable too, thanks!

Any other suggestions?

#5 jelly roll harris

jelly roll harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Member: 284834

Posted 13 October 2016 - 17:45

Best Bet Boogie from the 2015 Rockschool g8 syllabus. Fast, furious, entertaining, and not too long.

#6 Digby

Digby

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2073 posts
  • Member: 480

Posted 15 October 2016 - 14:23

The first two suggestions were exactly what popped into my head when I read the title.  The Kapustin is actually really interesting and not as well known.  I'll be honest I'll be happy not to hear Alligator ever again, but I'm not teaching you and most people really like it.  :) Good luck 

#7 Blackett and Howden

Blackett and Howden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Member: 893066

Posted 16 October 2016 - 22:09

Joseph Makholm's 3 Impressions have been set for grade 8 in the past, and would probably be suitable as well, particularly the last one, Bebop'n You. I've not actually learned any of them though

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: piano, grade 8, jazz, boogie