OlderAussie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Member: 893292
  • South-east Australia

Posted 28 December 2016 - 22:20

JessicaQ, Wondering how you have been going?

To me it sounds like the other teacher was contributing to your tension in playing. How do you know his "higher expectations" would really make you progress more effectively than the conservatory professor? Surely she woild be capable of teaching the same repertoire -- at the appropriate time.

My mother was lucky enough to study under a much lauded and brilliant teacher, many of whose pupils went on to great things. He was known for rejecting exams and suiting his teaching to the temperament and physical build of his pupils.

#17 JessicaQ

JessicaQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Member: 895621

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:05

JessicaQ, Wondering how you have been going?

To me it sounds like the other teacher was contributing to your tension in playing. How do you know his "higher expectations" would really make you progress more effectively than the conservatory professor? Surely she woild be capable of teaching the same repertoire -- at the appropriate time.

My mother was lucky enough to study under a much lauded and brilliant teacher, many of whose pupils went on to great things. He was known for rejecting exams and suiting his teaching to the temperament and physical build of his pupils.

Thanks for asking. And day 2 into the new year, I might just use this to look back and ahead. 

I've taken a couple of more lessons from the conservatory professor, but mostly for specific performance preparations rather than routine study. I just did a Paganini caprice last month and have some chamber music recitals and possibly a concerto performance coming up for the first half of this year, so generally will have more working sessions with the pianist and conductor than violin lessons.

I asked for thoughts on my issues with my previous teacher, the one with whom I took lessons for just short of a year, in another post a few months earlier. As it turned out, the fact that my confusions centred on the teaching approach was quite naive. To spare you the details unless a discussion on teacher-pupil personal relationship is to be initiated, well he decided never to see me again.

In a way I lost two teachers, him and another mutual friend of ours, who together led my way back into performing. But somehow, coming out of the trauma of it all, I've managed to set my own ideas about what I want to do, and am starting to enjoy playing, and learn what I need to learn from better musicians without being frightened or feeling the need for a teacher to look after everything I do.

#18 OlderAussie

OlderAussie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Member: 893292
  • South-east Australia

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:11

Good on you JessicaQ! No point playing violin if you don't enjoy it! Best wishes for your endeavours in 2017.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: violin, music lesson