2 replies to this topic

#1 Deejie

Deejie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Member: 895498

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:19

I'm currently preparing for grade 4 clarinet, looking to perform Minuet and Trio from Mozart's Divertimento in B flat K439b No.4.

It consists of 4 separate repeated passages in two sections (the Minuet and the Trio) and includes the instruction 'Menuetto D.C.' at the end, instructing the player to replay the first - minuet - section.

For the exam I'm planning on ignoring the repeat marks but replaying the first section.

I understand from exam guidance not to repeat passages. However at least one member on the teachers forum advocates practising repeats in case an examiner requires the piece to be played in full. So, I'm preparing for that...

But then I've just listened to a performance of the full piece which did not follow the repeats when playing the minuet section for the second time. Perhaps there's a musical convention which only requires repeats to be followed the first time a passage is played.

So, my question to the forum is, what exactly would you prepare to play for the examiner?

#2 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:41

You have noticed correctly; the usual convention is that repeats are not played on a da capo.  Very occasionally you may find a specific instruction that a repeat is always to be played, but I'm not certain whether I've ever seen that.

So if you label your separate sections A, B, C and D, the "usual" performance would be A A B B C C D D A B, and the typical "no repeats" exam performance would be ABCDAB

Good luck with your exam!

#3 Deejie

Deejie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Member: 895498

Posted 23 July 2016 - 13:51

...the "usual" performance would be A A B B C C D D A B, and the typical "no repeats" exam performance would be ABCDAB

Good luck with your exam!

Brilliant.
Very many thanks - may proceed with (a little more) confidence now.
...And, I think the family will prefer & appreciate fewer repetitions while I'm practicing!
Regard,
D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Repeat, D.C., da coda, al capo, Minuet, trio, menuetto