sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 17 July 2016 - 13:11

Is it possible to keep the current syllabus available online until after the C session please?
It's tricky when trying to check something still current when the new list is up.
Apologies if it's there and I've missed it.

It is there. On the piano pages, above the big obvious box which says Grades 1-8 (2017-2018) is a smaller text link that says Grades 1-8 (2015-2016). And from the individual grades you can click on the tab that says 2015-16 to get that. Similarly for the 2010-16 syllabus on the brass pages.

Thanks. 

#17 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 894703
  • East Riding of Yorkshire

Posted 20 July 2016 - 18:51

If anyone is thinking of doing the Bach gigue from french suite 5. After listening to the cd version (which is great) please, please, please download Angela Hewitt's version from her French Suite album. It's in a class of its own.

#18 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17664 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 20 July 2016 - 19:44

If anyone is thinking of doing the Bach gigue from french suite 5. After listening to the cd version (which is great) please, please, please download Angela Hewitt's version from her French Suite album. It's in a class of its own.

I agree Mike. To me no one is better than Angela Hewitt on Bach, I have all her Bach recordings

#19 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 21 July 2016 - 16:14

Will there be a Piano Pathways to accompany the syllabus? I'm trying to decide which pieces I want to play but it would be nice to know, as a beginner, what particular techniques and skills are used in each piece.

#20 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 894703
  • East Riding of Yorkshire

Posted 21 July 2016 - 16:40

Angela Hewitt in Kings Lynn on 21st, expect it's sold out

#21 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 21 July 2016 - 19:38

Any experienced pianists on here that can give me their opinions of the new G4 pieces and their level of difficulty please

From the A list I have chosen Allegretto, Vanhal
From the B list, the Waltz in A, Zilinskis

However I'm really struggling to choose anything from the C list, I'm not keen on any of them also every piece seems so difficult and the tempo's ultra quick (I've just taken my G3 exams)

I'm obv willing to put the time in but don't want to be disheartened I would really appreciate some advice, thanks in advance

#22 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 21 July 2016 - 19:52

Any experienced pianists on here that can give me their opinions of the new G4 pieces and their level of difficulty please

From the A list I have chosen Allegretto, Vanhal
From the B list, the Waltz in A, Zilinskis

However I'm really struggling to choose anything from the C list, I'm not keen on any of them also every piece seems so difficult and the tempo's ultra quick (I've just taken my G3 exams)

I'm obv willing to put the time in but don't want to be disheartened I would really appreciate some advice, thanks in advance

#23 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19951 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 21 July 2016 - 20:49

Well, I'm going to stick my neck out, and say that if you were my student, I would be encouraging you to explore a wider choice of repertoire before focusing on the next grade immediately.

However - since you ask! ...

All the A pieces are good. At a quick glance, the Vanhal doesn't appear to present any particular technical difficulties, and I'd be unlikely to discourage any student of mine from choosing it.

The B group - not bad. I think 1 is probably the trickiest - you can tell from the score it needs very accurate and nimble fingerwork. Might be rewarding to learn though. 3 certainly looks straightforward, It happens to be in the same key as A3, and I have an instinctive dislike of preparing / presenting two in the same key in a three piece programme. I must stress that there is actually no problem in doing this - it's simply a personal choice and something I will try to avoid if I can. I feel it's worth broadening a student's experience if possible, and variety is more enjoyable. It's not generally regarded as important, by the way. The alternative Tchaikovsky Mazurka is a good piece if you want another option.

Group C - I more or less agree with you. Sorry - that's no help at all! I dislike C1: the other two are less dull.

#24 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 21 July 2016 - 21:43

Worth a look at the Kuhlau Sonatina movement in the alternative pieces too- I think it's much more interesting than the other A pieces. The Kuhlau was on the LCM syllabus a few years back and I remember my student really enjoyed it, it's a beautiful piece.

#25 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 21 July 2016 - 22:09

Thank you both - it's the C list I need help with, any ideas ?

#26 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19951 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:36

Thank you both - it's the C list I need help with, any ideas ?

Mmm. I don't have any of the alternative books yet, so it's a bit of a shot in the dark.

I might have a look at the Kabalevsky - his pieces are often really appealing. Can you have a listen online yet?

Jpiano - thanks for the Kuhlau tip - I will follow that up.

#27 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 23 July 2016 - 21:54

Thanks Maggiemay

Decided to just get on with it they'll grow on me once I've mastered them.

I'll be taking the G4 theory in Nov but won't be taking the perf one until March next year so plenty of time for this one

Thanks

#28 Gordonian

Gordonian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Member: 14557
  • Aberdeen

Posted 26 July 2016 - 21:25

Can anyone tell me if ABRSM will be printing the syllabus list for the Piano 2017-18 exams?
I know it's on the website but I prefer the books.