#811 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7853 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 13 December 2019 - 23:11

After last night’s jaw-droppingly seismic shift in politics, let’s hope that at least some of the fractious debates about Brexit will now melt away and that the country can get back to some sort of normality.  Outside of Westminster, Gina Miller has also accepted defeat and there will be no more attempts to overturn the referendum result.  It’s now up to the new government to try to satisfy the hopes of those who want to leave the EU, whilst at the same time assuaging the fears of former remainers by keeping strong - albeit different - ties with “our EU friends and partners”, to quote the PM.  Is it too much to hope for “peace and goodwill” at this time of year - I hope not :)

I think we can hope for a very short calmer period. but I am not optimistic. The result of this selective election only means that Boris Johnson now has a sufficient majority to actually "get Brexit done."  But the nitty gritty of the negotiations will start now and as people begin at last to understand what they are going to lose I suspect feelings will run just as high. Of course  Johnson and the British press will blame their "EU friends and neighbours" for failure of the UK negotiators to get what they want. They won't, i think be able to understand that they can't have their cake and eat it too. And I don't suppose the  said friends and neighbours will feel very kindly disposed to the UK either. After all, they stand to lose as well and they have their own interests to protect..

I couldn't really raise much interest in this election since I am one of a  large group of British citizens  very much concerned with the situation but  who have been deprived of their  vote.  Anyway, judging by the alternative "leaders" we might have got in a different result I can't say that the horizon would look any better. We had better make the best of the short season of peace and goodwill because I doubt if it will last. 

I have asked myself what on earth I would have voted if I had been able to. I would have gone to the polling station out of respect for the women who fought for me to have a vote. I expect I would have invalidated my voting paper by writing something rude about the quality of British politcal leadership - which no one would have bothered to read anyway.  At the moment I just despair.

#812 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1282 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted Yesterday, 00:02

let's all try to enjoy some peace and goodwill for the moment; Boris will get his Brexit, but I wonder how long he'll survive the bucking bronco of current conservatism before someone stabs him in the back and nicks the leadership? With a massive majority, he can do whatever he likes in Westminster - but now he's got to make everything happen that he said he would. He has no excuse if he doesn't. It's a time for doing, not talking; delivering promises, not making them. There won't be any more fridges to hide in, and nowhere else for the buck to stop. Absolute power brings absolute responsibility. Should be interesting, at any rate.

#813 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted Yesterday, 00:15

I don't feel British anymore after the election result. I think the divisions between us are just too big to heal.

#814 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1918 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted Yesterday, 13:26

I think the divisions between us are just too big to heal.

It depends on whether the will is there.  I once fell out very badly with a neighbour, to the point where we ignored each other for a very long time.  Then, quite suddenly, we made it up and they now give me vegetables from their allotment.  If people want to heal divisions, they will do.  I can only say that when my neighbour and I let go the past, I felt as if a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

#815 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted Yesterday, 14:57

Yes, but this is going to run and run. I can see possible riots.

#816 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted Yesterday, 15:53

This is going to carry on for at least another year. That much I can say now.