#1 daniellejamesmusic

daniellejamesmusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 64627

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:22

Hi, 

I was wondering if any of you had any experience in building workshops for out of term time.  I'm considering doing this to open up the singing experience to children who can't necessarily have lessons all the time.  Alongside my usual students.  

Does anyone know where I stand with insurances that I would need and the legalities of it? I've got an idea of course structure, just want to make sure any other technicalities are thought through too before I commit to something I can't handle on my own. 

Also, if you have any experience of what not to do, that would be greatly appreciated too. 

Thanks in advance, 

Danielle 

#2 Hils

Hils

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1171 posts
  • Member: 7416

Posted 14 April 2016 - 14:18

If you already teach from home you should be able to include in your existing liability insurance shouldn't you?
If you were thinking of hiring a hall then check their insurances to see what they are covered for.
Think about number ratios you'd be happy to work with - would some of your students be prepared to help out with 'crowd control'?
Break up the day - think about Perform in a Day (or Perform in a Week if you think you can sell more than one day to people) and stage a concert / show for parents.
Do you teach musical theatre or could you work with a local drama teacher to make the offer more interesting?
Improvise or learn existing works?
Check the competition locally for what you could offer and price accordingly. Put a value on your prep time which can be considerable with something like this (although you do then have it in the bank ready to use again)
Hth

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: workshop, course