11 replies to this topic

#1 rhelens

rhelens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Member: 893127

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:12

I currently use a Wolf shoulder rest, which I generally like however I often get neck and back pain, and sometimes find it difficult to adjust the rest to a comfortable position. I am having problems with it now because when I pack it away into my case, the legs that attach to the violin are pressured when the case is zipped up, causing the rest to become loose and fall off my violin. I have a rather long neck, so its necessary for the legs to be long, and since I have problems adjusting it, I'd rather not have to completely change the rests set up every time I put it away or get it out. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any other make of rest, possibly with detachable legs? 

#2 michael N

michael N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Member: 309573
  • W.York's UK.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:57

I think most people remove the rest from the violin before putting the violin back into any case. In fact in 30 years of being around violins I can't remember anyone leaving the rest still attached to the violin. Removing the rest is probably better for the varnish too. . .

Neck pain isn't entirely unusual for violinists. Commonly it's clamping down with the chin and/or pushing up with the shoulder, even if the player doesn't always know it.

I can't help you with the rest type, there are so many. There is also a chin rest available that also gives extra height. I'm afraid the combinations of different chin rests and shoulder rests are seemingly endless!

#3 LouiseW

LouiseW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Member: 10189

Posted 21 January 2016 - 13:27

I didn't think the op meant they were leaving the rest on the violin in its case - more that the rest itself didn't fit well in the case?

I used a Wolf rest (Forte primo) for years and used to have it very high and struggle to get it into a comfortable position (although I was never in pain).

I have switched to an Everest rest after trying one belonging to an Orchestral colleague. I find this rest so much more comfortable and find I don't need it anywhere near as high as I thought I did... (its also one of the cheaper rests available!)

Shoulder rests are very personal things though. Do you have violin playing friends / colleagues with different rests you could try out? Or perhaps a violin shop you could visit, taking your own instrument to try out various rests?

Some shoulder rests have feet that fold flat for storage, such as the kun collapsible.

Something else to consider might be your chin rest, this can be easily changed and can make a big difference to comfort when playing.

#4 OlderAussie

OlderAussie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Member: 893292
  • South-east Australia

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:34

Dear rhelens

I'm yet to get up to sharing my experience with my Bon Musica shoulder rests in the "Taking up the violin again" thread.  As I have quite a short neck it mightn't be that relevant to you -- but here are few points. 

These Bon Musica rests can be adjusted in all sorts of directions.   You mightn't be able to really try out one fully without "mangling" it to suit your shape. The legs aren't detachable and its very unlikely to fit in your case. While the legs are very adjustable I wouldn't recommend adjusting them every day as I would expect the  double-sided screw to get worn out (true I was putting mine under a BIG stress, but I managed to retrieve the situation so its usable).   

I must say the Bon Musica is the first rest I've ever made friends with -- though I'm not a very experienced player, as you see from the above-mentioned thread.  It does creak a bit when the screws underneath get loose.  That probably happens because I've revamped where they sit as well to get the "hook" end in the right place on my shoulder.

As suggested above, you might look at raising your chin rest - I've still got a flat piece of cork that a luthier gave me to put under mine and I'm thinking it might be a good idea (especially on my smaller violin) despite my short neck -- I like to have my shoulder rest set very low so the violin can sit on my collar bone.

All a bit complicated -- but I hope you get it sorted so you are comfortable.

#5 rhelens

rhelens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:27

I meant that the rest doesn't fit well in the case after taking it off the violin - the lift up compartment at the end of the case doesn't shut properly, which forces the legs down.

Thank you for the suggestions, it gives me somewhere to start! :)

#6 rhelens

rhelens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:31

I can be comfortable with the wolf rest, the only issue was since I sometimes have to take a while adjusting it to a comfortable psoition, readjusting it every time I pack it away or take it out would be inconvenient. I've played violin from the age of 4, and I'm now 16, so I guess growing throughout this period hasn't allowed me to find what truly suits me yet - fingers crossed!

#7 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4059 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 25 January 2016 - 13:09

Older Aussie - I'm surprised that you say the legs aren't removable from a Bon Musica.  The legs on mine just unscrew.  I've taken them off several times, when I was toying with swapping the over, for example.

#8 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4059 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 13:10

If anyone has a BM rest, this thread on V.com mentions several cases that will fit the rest. http://www.violinist...se.cfm?ID=27524

#9 OlderAussie

OlderAussie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Member: 893292
  • South-east Australia

Posted 25 January 2016 - 22:26

BadStrad, oh sorry, yes you are right, the legs of the Bon Musica do detach, in fact the whole thing can be dismantled  -- I just wasn't thinking --  but I think using those "double-threaded screws" on the legs on a daily basis might lead to problems. I managed to cause the two "hex nuts" on the outside of one of my legs to become loose - then needed a spanner of the right size to tighten them (being careful not to cross-thread yet again).    Yes, OK, I was mucking around with that one leg on mine far too much, trying to make it shorter than it should go...

I understand you can get replacement parts which is also great, but I've got mine set OK now (just not to be fiddled with!).

#10 karslima

karslima

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Member: 8217
  • Devon, UK

Posted 31 January 2016 - 19:47

I have a Kun rest which works well for me. It took years to find a rest that suits me, but since I discovered the Kun I've never looked back.

#11 earplugs

earplugs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Member: 7064

Posted 05 February 2016 - 18:06

The Kun is quite a good rest and available in a version with folding legs which might help.  Viva La Musica "Diamond" is an excellent rest in terms of being adaptable to the right position and staying on the instrument, prefer it to my old Kun. 

Incidentally the shoulder rest isn't the best way to cope with a long neck.  It is better to get a high chin rest so the instrument can still rest firmly on the collar bone.

#12 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4059 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 19:30

I agree that a high chin rest can help, but I would worry that most cases do not have a great deal of height and you wouldn't want to punch a chin rest shaped hole int he top  of your instrument.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: violin, shoulder, rest