Photo

Coping with non-practising bores who make up the numbers?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#16 Impressionist

Impressionist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Member: 331311

Posted 12 September 2015 - 19:36

Good Lord, Mickey, you sound like my 16 year old.  The  majority of people contributing to this forum are people who can form a coherent argument without resorting to personal insults and can take on board some constructive criticism. 

#17 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3709 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 12 September 2015 - 19:36

Your problem students are presumably beginners or the first year or two of piano. Duets I have found successful with this age group which are fun for me are Paul Harris Improve your sightreading duets grade 1, 8 duets for beginners by Jessie Blake, Alfred Duet book Level 1B, and a recent discovery Pentascale Pro book 1. The Hengeveld I would use more at grade 3ish, but I do find them great fun.

#18 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 12 September 2015 - 21:20

I would find the non-practice situation distinctly trickier with the 6-8 age range I must say asI think that parental support for this age is vital.  Thinking about it, I don't think I've any non-practicers at the moment, I have a few light practicers (adults) and one erratic practicer (10 year old) - with adults I am happy so long as they engage with the lesson and accept that progress will be slow. The exception I'd say is for beginning students- no practice will mean very little progress- but I have some around the grade 1-3 level who know that they'd get along a lot faster if they devoted more time to piano, but we both enjoy the lessons.  They attend for a variety of reasons- for some, piano  is the only activity they do that is purely for them, and is a relaxing challenge. However, I've found that young children who don't practice, and therefore don't progress, are likely to get more frustrated  and lose interest.

In terms of going slowly and loads of consolidation, it has to be My First Piano Adventures for me- especially as there is also the theory/activity book to do in the lesson. This really has done so much for my teaching of the 5- 7 age range.

I don't have anything to add to the really good repertoire and activity suggestions in this thread. I've been there, in terms of feeling I can't afford to let go of pupils, and I know in the past I've sometimes felt under pressure to carry on with students with whom  I should have called it a day for their and my sake. Is there anything else you could do on the marketing front do you think, to increase numbers so that you would feel more secure? I just wonder if you were putting your energies into that whether you'd feel better?

#19 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4045 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 12 September 2015 - 21:27

Mickey. I do not need to get over myself as I am completely confident that my comments were given with the best of intention and have merit whether you agree with them or not. You obviously disagree, but I would just like you to consider - if your child had lessons from a teacher who was as disengaged as you describe yourself being (from your "bores") would you be happy? I think not.

#20 mickey

mickey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Member: 893313

Posted 12 September 2015 - 23:35

#21 mickey

mickey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 23:37

Edited by EdGJ, 13 September 2015 - 10:33 .
Flaming

#22 mickey

mickey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 00:18

thanks again to everyone of you that has given material suggestions - I think I have enough to be getting on with that will be new and will help engage.

#23 mickey

mickey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:09

Edited by EdGJ, 13 September 2015 - 10:32 .
Flaming