Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Member: 656906
  • Leigh, Lancashire

Posted 17 July 2015 - 14:05

Hi All,

I'm in the very lucky position of being able to upgrade my clarinet. I don't need to but I know it's something I want to continue playing and I've got a good few years puff left in me yet so I'm looking at it as an investment. I know that if I don't spend at least some of my money on an upgrade I'm very likely to fritter it away on nonsense and when the time finally does come when I'm ready for an upgrade I won't be able to afford it. I have a budget of £2000 but if something special comes along a little bit more expensive I could find the extra. Conversely, if I find something that costs less but sounds and plays as well then I'm not committed to spending all of it!

I've ordered a home trial pack from Hanson since I already play one and have had nothing but positive comments about it's tone. I do have a couple of niggles with it but they could be common to a lot of other makes so I'll wait and see how the trial ones play. I've got a large bore T6 rosewood coming and the same model in blackwood and he's sending me a third to try but I can't remember exactly what it is! Because I already play a Hanson, if I do decide to purchase one I get the value of my current piece off the price which is a bonus. The Hansons are due next week.

My teacher has no problem with me upgrading but has suggested (very wisely) that I try other makes as well and this is where I would like your help - could you suggest other makes and models for me to try that are within my budget? I've googled until my eyeballs popped out but the choice is bewildering. I'm also looking for recommendations of dealers that let you try out the instruments at home.

I prefer a warmer, more rounded sound than anything bright and 'jazzy'.

Many thanks,

Cmm

#2 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1923 posts
  • Member: 71829

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:34

My advice is to try as many different clarinets as possible and check the tuning particularly for high notes. Of course different clarinets (and different players) respond to different mouthpieces too so play as many different set ups as you can. Dont be afraid to take your time on this, it may take a while but eventually there will be one that you have to keep going back to........

Above all have fun and enjoy the choosing! :)

#3 Crotchettymoomoo

Crotchettymoomoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Leigh, Lancashire

Posted 18 July 2015 - 15:40

Thanks Clarimoo!

Sound advice there - I will certainly try as many as I can and like you say, it could take some time - but I think I can safely say I'm going to enjoy it! :-))

Ooohhhhhhh, roll on next week......

#4 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 19 July 2015 - 14:40

Just wondering what decided you to try wide bore?

#5 Crotchettymoomoo

Crotchettymoomoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Leigh, Lancashire

Posted 19 July 2015 - 20:30

Just wondering what decided you to try wide bore?

Certainly on the Hanson website it says that large bore is an 'English bore' which with comparison to other manufacturers is a more rounded, warmer tone - the exact thing that I'm looking for - rather than a 'Jazz cut' which is quite bright and focused. Indeed when I spoke to Alastiar Hanson and he was asking me what sort of sound I was looking for and what types of music I prefer to play he also recommended that I try the large bore.

#6 Garkleine

Garkleine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Member: 216
  • NorthWest England

Posted 27 July 2015 - 21:52

When `I had the opportunity to upgrade my clarinet I bought the Buffet R13 and its lovely :)

Bought my daughter the same one too!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clarinet, upgrade, £2000