maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19958 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 20 July 2015 - 20:54

Very pleased to know you have passed, Marl. And I wouldn't fret about the mark - it's a perfectly respectable one!

And some of the individual marks are really good.

I agree with Sbhoa and KTViola - move on to other material.

#32 Spanish Pavane

Spanish Pavane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Member: 720213

Posted 20 July 2015 - 21:06

And another voice to say move on.  I usually give an average of two years to get to Grade One - it is certainly not a beginner's exam - so you've done fantastically well.  Now's the time to devour easier pieces or ones about the same level to up your sight reading; aim to SR something on at least five occasions a week.  Maybe just tighten up on those scales till they're automatic and then you're ready to start hands together. Once more, a great achievement.

#33 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:20

good for passing.  What I did was as soon as I finished one exam, and the next exam books were ready I got them and was studying for the next one.  I did this for all four grades with no break in between until I got sick of doing them and stopped.  I recently had a discussion about grades and my teacher said I can go back to grades at some point in the future.  If I do then I would be studying for Grade 5 and would have to do theory too.  I really don't think  I can be bothered and see no advantage in doing so.

#34 AnnC

AnnC

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3303 posts
  • Member: 6097

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:26

What a pity. All of mine who didn't want to do theory but did it to proceed beyond grade 5 have seen the benefits and are so glad they did it. Perhaps it was the going along the path of grades with no chance to stop and smell the roses that destroyed your enthusiasm.

Marl - very well done. Enjoy non-exam music for a while without seeing it as a step towards grade 2 and you will be more confident next time. Of course it WILL be a step towards grade 2 but your teacher should present it as learning for fun and develop your skills on the side. You will get to grade 2 standard without even realising it.

#35 CeliaPiano

CeliaPiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Member: 685609

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:16

Congratulations Marl. A pass is a pass and you gained some very good scores in most of the elements. Did you feel that your A piece could have been better at the time?

Onwards and upwards would be my advice. Enjoy expanding your repertoire and acquiring new skills for now, without the pressure of another exam until you're happy. Agree with performing to an audience other than your tutor to help you deal with nerves.

#36 CeliaPiano

CeliaPiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Member: 685609

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:34

Adult pianist, I disagree that learning theory has no advantage. In my experience, I have found that learning theory has made me a more perceptive musician, being able to determine which chords go well in which key when learning about cadences. I also find that it improves sight reading because I have done some background work on chords and their inversions.

I am glad that it is an essential prerequisite for studying higher grades practical exam.

#37 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:20

good for passing.  What I did was as soon as I finished one exam, and the next exam books were ready I got them and was studying for the next one.  I did this for all four grades with no break in between until I got sick of doing them and stopped.  I recently had a discussion about grades and my teacher said I can go back to grades at some point in the future.  If I do then I would be studying for Grade 5 and would have to do theory too.  I really don't think  I can be bothered and see no advantage in doing so.

With a good teacher you'll find that you are covering an awful lobut t of theory while learning to play. Hopefully you know the necessary theory for playing at the level you've reached. There are alternatives to theory (which are not required with ABRSM until you want to do grade 6 and above practical exams). the alternatives include looking at other exam boards who don't require a theory pass for later grades but it's still very useful to learn more than just the order of the notes. 

If you've gone from exam to exam in that way without much difficulty then you are working very hard and wisely. Is this a second instrument or from scratch?

I moved forward very quickly on piano when I started but that was with previous musical experience and there was a point where more effort was required as there was with clarinet.

#38 violoboist

violoboist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Member: 9023

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:25

What a good pass mark! I'd say spend some time loving playing, and exploring some pieces xx

#39 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 21 July 2015 - 18:47

You can still learn theory etc without doing an exam.  I do not want to do exams anymore.  I do however want to learn.

#40 SilverSpoon

SilverSpoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 893525

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:26

Theres little point in worrying about it just now! Good luck :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Piano, Grade 1, Exams