Photo

New Year, New Piano Music! Recommendations?

piano music teaching resources

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Froody

Froody

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Member: 887372

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:30

Hi everyone,

I've been sent a musicroom voucher this week and I'm itching for some music retail therapy! Along with the usual exam things I need to order I'm keen to hunt out something new. Any recommendations?

At the end of this year I discovered Ben Crosland, thanks to another forumite and on another occasion Paul Sheftel so I know there's plenty of excellent material just waiting to be discovered. I'm going to try out Sight Reading Every Day by Kevin and Julia Olson but ordering on the net means you can't have a good flip through the books - hurrah for all those sites where you can take a look inside! 

Would love to hear of any new discoveries or your top tried and tested books/teaching resources. I teach all levels/ages so interested in anything.  :)

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3742 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:48

I have been using the new Tune a day for piano with a year 7 at school, and I'm impressed with the material and the pace it goes at.

#3 Froody

Froody

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:59

Hi Latin,

thanks for your recommendation. Are you using this as a tutor book or supplementary reading book?

#4 londonpiano

londonpiano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Member: 888468

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:32

Ben Crosland has an amazing new book out called Easy Beans although I'm not sure Musicroom stock it.

https://www.youtube....h?v=mY_QkAy2jdM

#5 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3742 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 07 January 2015 - 13:10

I'm using it as a tutor book . Last term I supplemented it with carols. This term I'm using easy versions of songs from the shows, and I may soon add in Accelerated Piano Adventures book 2 to lead us to grade 1.

#6 Froody

Froody

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 14:04

Ben Crosland has an amazing new book out called Easy Beans although I'm not sure Musicroom stock it.

https://www.youtube....h?v=mY_QkAy2jdM

Just taken a look/listen - fantastic! Will be ordering it from the publishers - loved his other books. 

#7 Chomp

Chomp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Member: 888251

Posted 07 January 2015 - 22:09

Yes, I love Ben Crosland's books too. His Get Set Jazz saved one of my students who was almost quitting.

We should ask musicroom to stock the beans books!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: piano music, teaching resources