3 replies to this topic

#1 jovy

jovy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Member: 8094

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:41

Hi all.  Next month, my friend is going to take his dipABRSM in violin performance.  I will be his accompanist.  I recalled that when I took my own diploma and LRSM exam in piano performance, it was a requirement to play using at least a baby grand piano because the ABRSM representative at that time said that the diploma exams was supposed to be of professional level and thus a baby grand should be used.  When I took the grade 8 exams several years ago, an upright piano sufficed.

My question now is, is a baby grand piano required to accompany a violinist who is taking dipABRSM?  

I would very much like to hear about your inputs and experiences because the original venue (which had a baby grand) is quire a distance away from the regular exam venue (which only had an upright piano).  Thank you.

#2 Bach95

Bach95

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Member: 887574

Posted 25 November 2014 - 19:48

I would assume that all Diploma exams will happen in the same room. So, if you're using the same room as the pianists doing the diplomas, you'll be using the same piano, which will be at least a baby grand. It was a full size grand when I did mine. 

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17682 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 25 November 2014 - 20:41

I didnt even get a Grand from my piano Dip, mind you it was 1963 !

#4 jovy

jovy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Member: 8094

Posted 30 November 2014 - 22:00

It's really difficult to get a baby grand for exams because we live in the Philippines.  The upright we are using is okay but not really of excellent quality.  I read the syllabus and nowhere can I find an indication that a grand or baby grand should be used for the exam, so maybe it should be okay...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: piano, violin, diploma, accompaniment, grand piano, upright piano