windingpath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 889091
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 30 September 2014 - 13:28

Hi all,

I'm just getting underway with studying for the teaching DipABRSM. My instrument will be piano. Does anyone have any of the books from the reading list they might like to sell me?

Many thanks

#2 Louise H

Louise H

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Member: 7092
  • West Cumbria

Posted 30 September 2014 - 13:56

Do you have access to a library? The Barbican music library is not a million miles away from Herts so you could join and borrow from there. You can search their catalogue remotely to see what is available. They charge £1 for reservations but it's a good way of making sure you can get a book before someone else takes it out again!

You could also look for second hand copies on Amazon or others such as alibris.co.uk or abe books.

#3 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6581 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 14:34

Westminster library has a very good music section, and is easily accessible from Hertfordshire.

Similarly I've managed to borrow several books from my local library by going online and ordering from neighbouring counties via our county library service.  It does cost a bit, but not as much as buying new, nor travelling up to London.

And I've found several copies on Oxfam books online, a good source of music books.

#4 Seer_Green

Seer_Green

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3869 posts
  • Member: 114670
  • Lichfield, Staffordshire

Posted 30 September 2014 - 18:45

I would treat this list with caution too as it hasn't been updated for several years. One of the things you need to demonstrate is that you are up-to-date with current thinking/practice.

#5 windingpath

windingpath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 889091
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 12 October 2014 - 19:49

Thanks for your responses. I have taken the plunge and raided Amazon's second-hand books and Alibris. Now to get down to the reading...

#6 Piano Meg

Piano Meg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Member: 271350
  • T' North

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:38

Herts library itself has a lot of music teaching books - at the central library in (I think) Hatfield. I borrowed lots of their books when doing the EPTA course, and they had plenty of books from the course's reading list (including some that were ridiculously priced online!).

#7 light

light

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Member: 887627

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:16

I would treat this list with caution too as it hasn't been updated for several years. One of the things you need to demonstrate is that you are up-to-date with current thinking/practice.

I'd also love to hear which books you would regard as presenting more up to date thinking and practice?

#8 margaret

margaret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Member: 337
  • Barnet

Posted 27 October 2014 - 14:32

Hello

4 books I think are worth a look:

The pianist's Problems by William S newman

Improve your piano playing by John Meffen - Great book - each chapter ends with interesting questions eg "Why is fingering so important"  "Explain what is meant by a balanced arm?"

Teaching beginners - Paul Harris

Improve your teaching - Paul Harris

Good luck with your preparation

Margaret FRSM(teaching)

#9 rejoice

rejoice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Member: 887314

Posted 28 October 2014 - 16:34

Thought I'd just chip in and add...

The following are books I used to prepare for the exam. Most of them are pretty modern in thinking except for the Cora Ahrens one. However, I found that one helpful as it focused more on the technical aspects which were not covered as in depth in the more "modern" books.

Improve Your Teaching - Paul Harris

Teaching Beginners - Paul Harris

The Music Teacher's Companion - Paul Harris & Richard Crozier

Professional Piano Teaching - Jeanine Jacobson

For All Piano Teachers - Cora Ahrens

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, teaching, piano, diploma, ABRSM