3 replies to this topic

#1 Chas

Chas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Member: 887347

Posted 14 June 2014 - 20:32

This is my first post so please be kind - or at least gentlish...

I've been supporting my two kids aged 9 and 11 towards their grades 2 and 3, but whilst I'm not a guitar teacher, I do my best. I seem to have picked up from somewhere that there is a limit to the number of accompanied pieces they can enter (although I don't find this on the syllabus 2011-'14) and can't remember where I got this 'fact' from. First off, then, is this correct?

If not then ignore Q2.

Q2

If so...

the trouble I have is that I don't necessarily know which are accompanied pieces. There are some which have obvious accompaniment, but others, for example those included in the chanterelle One+One books Pupil and Teacher - do I assume these are accompanied.

Q3

In an ideal world, my son would choose to enter with Coventry Carol, Funeral March of a Marionette and My Favourite Things. Would these be acceptable?

thanks

#2 Chas

Chas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 20:47

Typically after pondering this for a few weeks I found (at least part of) the answer to my question straight after posting - apologies

"These pieces are marked (with a cross) in the syllabus. In Grade 3 only one such piece may be performed" is contained in Accompanied Pieces at the start of the 2009-11 syllabus, however, by jumping straight to the Grade 3 section in the 2011-14 syllabus, this appears to be missed off.

Do I presume it is still applicable though?

Thanks

Chas

#3 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:04

I can't see a syllabus later that the 'from 2009' . The 'only one such pieces' rule is in the general regulations for guitar and not on the syllabus for the grade. 

#4 Chas

Chas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 18:07

Thanks sbhoa

(this forum seems to be quite cautious about pasting and I'm not sure about all the inputs required for links so I've tried to work around)...

http://us.abrsm.org/fileadmin/user_upload/syllabuses/guitar0311.pdf

The above link is described in Google results as "ABRSM Syllabus for Guitar 2011-14". For Grade 3 it looks to be identical to the 'from 2009' though I've not done a string comparison. It has the same dagger-like crosses so it looks like our ideal choice will be out, but it is no great shakes. Just pleased to have sorted it out in my own mind at least. Hope this doesn't confuse anyone else on the way!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grade 3, guitar, accompanyment, syllabus, choice