Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Member: 887720
  • Manchester

Posted 02 January 2014 - 14:26

Hello All.

I am a new member on the forum and have just started to play the Alto Saxophone. I currently play a Conn-Selmer Prelude AS700 Sax and use a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece and Rico 1.5 Reeds. I am looking at improving on my abilities in the new year and getting as advanced as I can get with my current instrument. 

Once there I will be looking at a Conn-Selmer PSS Premier Soprano Saxophone as I would like to be able to play both the Alto and the Soprano, when I get good enough at the Alto that is. 

I have been playing for 8 weeks now and practice for about 3 - 4 hours a day. I am wanting to progress with the Grades and see something out of my playing. 

Nice to meet everyone.

#2 muffinmonster

muffinmonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Member: 41676
  • East London

Posted 02 January 2014 - 14:34

Hi AmateurSaxPlayer (nice functional username!) and welcome to the forums.

I'm amazed that you are managing to do 3-4 hours' practice a day after only a few weeks. When I started clarinet I could only play for about 10-15 minutes without a break until my embouchure got stronger. With that kind of dedication I'm sure it won't be long before you start to see great results.

What kind of music are you most interested in playing?

#3 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 02 January 2014 - 14:43

Hello and welcome to the Forum!

#4 AmateurSaxPlayer

AmateurSaxPlayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 02 January 2014 - 15:42

i don't really want to play the classical boring stuff. I want to play songs like Bakers Street, Let her Go by Passenger, Redemption Song, Autumn leaves, Fly Me To The Moon. 

My favourite players are Getz and Coltrane. 

As for my current practice I am just going over and over the books that I have at the moment. To be honest.

I focus on long tones for 20 minutes a day, and practice with a metronome doing fast and long notes - this gets on me families nerves but hey, good things come to those who wait.

And then I work through the following books Abracadabra Saxophone, 80 Graded Studies For Saxophone, The Definitive Jazz Collection (though mainly just work on the notes and not the chords and don't really know as only 8 weeks in how to do jazz improvisation), Play - Along Really Easy Saxophone - Chart hits - 15 Popular Songs (don't really use this one) and Andy Hampton's Saxophone Basics (its a good book but there's too many pictures and as a 27 year old Uni Student used to reading psychology and psychiatry books its a bit child like for me, thats why I have the 80 Graded and brought a few more today). 

I have just brought Upgrade - Light Relief Between Grades - Alto Sax - Grades 1-2 Pamela Wedgwood and Specimen Sight Reading Tests For Saxophone Grades 1 - 5 by ABRSM

My main practice regime is going from the start of either the Sax Basics or Abracadabra book and working to the point where I start struggling. I then break the struggling song/tune up into bars and work on that bar over and over, till i get it right. Building the song to a complete song

After each session I create a practice journal and record down what I've done. What I've struggled with and things to work on for the next day. This I then take to my lessons and work through my struggles and ask questions and get taught things such as fingering and correct breathing skills, as well as working on embouchure so that each lesson is productive.

I am a little crazy I know and sounds very structured in my learning, but I love it so it's worth all the effort.

#5 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6193 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:20

"Classical boring stuff" ? Careful.... :P

Welcome to the forum.

#6 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1912 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:30

"Classical boring stuff" ? Careful.... :P

:lol: I wondered who'd be the first to pick that one up :D

Welcome AmateurSaxPlayer, see you around :)

#7 AmateurSaxPlayer

AmateurSaxPlayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:34

Sorry bout that.

Just the Classical stuff isn't really my forte. I prefer the more fun, screaming sax stuff. But I guess to get noticed you have to take the rough with the smooth and learn the smooth stuff and progress to the rough, and grooving stuff.

My sight read is getting better all the time, as I am constantly challenging myself and forcing myself to learn new things. Today I learnt Land Of hope And Glory from the Upgrade book, and played through the first two songs in the book during my practice session, as well as my usual playing from the start of Abracadabra to about song 78. 

I know at 27 I'll never be the next Getz or Coltrane, but I can only do my best and see where I am in 12 months. Who know's i might be IntermediateSaxPlayer by that point - I have my next lesson on the 7th January, so will see where my teacher thinks I am and see what he thinks about me looking at Grade 1 in the next few months or so. 

#8 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1912 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:38

I prefer the more fun, screaming sax stuff.

I must admit I like a screaming sax myself, preferably as high as possible, but in my case it would be Artie Shaw's band or Sidney Bechet :)

#9 caddy

caddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 887341
  • London

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:47

I've played the alto for two years, and its great fun, i've moved on to the clarinet now.

my approach is very similar to yours... practice every day, record every session in a notebook, have your goals in mind for the next day, and above all, be positive and try to be the best you can.

good luck, and looking forward to hearing how you progress within some months.

#10 katica

katica

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2644 posts
  • Member: 87755
  • Central America / Hants & Glos.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:48

:welcome:  AmateurSaxPlayer! 

It sounds as though you're impressively well-organised and committed, so we look forward to hearing about your rapid progress!.

#11 AmateurSaxPlayer

AmateurSaxPlayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:54

I'll have to look them up on Youtube. 

Right now I am slogging through the beginner books, there's not really any opportunity in them to make the sax scream. And at this stage I doubt if I could do it willingly. Unwillingly thats another matter. 

its great fun, beats Xmas tv that's for sure. And I am learning something new everyday. I do hope to get to Grade 3 or 4 by this time next year. But for now it's all about having fun, and enjoying it all the time. As well as looking at a Soprano when I have the cash. Oh and meeting and talking to people, who are interested in music. 

Plus whilst am off Uni (go back on the 27th January) if Stan Getz practiced for over 8 hours a day. So will I. Work twice as hard to get half as good, will be worth it in the end.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Saxophone, New, Beginner