Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2644 posts
  • Member: 87755
  • Central America / Hants & Glos.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 21:39

Best of luck with the changeover, Ed.
(And same to all fellow Forum users wink.gif )

I know some people have been lobbying for a change for quite a while but I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate you and your ABRSM colleagues for what has really been a very successful Forum platform, limitations notwithstanding.

Over in these parts, it has withstood well the test of unreliable bandwith: when I've had trouble signing on elsewhere the Forum has been accessible and usable. It's been admirably simple to use (very important for folks more focused on music than advanced IT skills).

And while there has been the odd kerfuffle and the occasional bona fide Forumite who has felt they've unfairly been the brunt of Moderator's actions, I myself think it is generally extremely well moderated (and self-moderated to a degree). That - I hopefully assume - won't change with the new technology. smile.gif

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing the changes, a fitting celebration for the Forum's 10th anniversary.

party1.gif
happyBirthday.gif

#17 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 30 September 2013 - 22:27

QUOTE(EdGJ @ Sep 30 2013, 06:20 PM) View Post

Yes, I can confirm that bold, italicised and underlined text (and accented text, pound signs etc) will once again be available. smile.gif

*like* biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Splog @ Sep 30 2013, 10:17 PM) View Post

Yay!!! Pound signs!!! biggrin.gif

And now we can all get upset if no-one "likes" our witty posts. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE(katica @ Sep 30 2013, 10:39 PM) View Post

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing the changes, a fitting celebration for the Forum's 10th anniversary.

agree.gif

Oh - how about some more emoticons? I find I often want to use the one of someone banging their head against a brick wall and also a 'fainting' one would get used quite a lot...

laugh.gif

#18 katica

katica

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2644 posts
  • Member: 87755
  • Central America / Hants & Glos.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 22:31

QUOTE(Cyrilla @ Sep 30 2013, 04:27 PM) View Post

Oh - how about some more emoticons? I find I often want to use the one of someone banging their head against a brick wall and also a 'fainting' one would get used quite a lot...

laugh.gif

rofl.gif

#19 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1622 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 30 September 2013 - 22:43

Looks very complicated, I've been looking at IP.BOARD website:
http://www.invisionp...rd/feature-list
blink.gif

#20 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6195 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 01 October 2013 - 00:09

+1

#21 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • Member: 10724
  • London

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:02

QUOTE(linda.ff @ Sep 30 2013, 09:59 PM) View Post

I suppose there's no chance of a spell-checker, is there?

This comes from the queen of typo, Princess Becca-Sue (as in becasue I'm worth it!)

A spell-checker is actually built into the Google Chrome browser as standard - if you use that to access the forums and misspell something you'll see the squiggly red line (of Microsoft Word fame) under the rogue word!

QUOTE(katica @ Sep 30 2013, 10:39 PM) View Post

Best of luck with the changeover, Ed.
(And same to all fellow Forum users wink.gif )

I know some people have been lobbying for a change for quite a while but I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate you and your ABRSM colleagues for what has really been a very successful Forum platform, limitations notwithstanding.

Over in these parts, it has withstood well the test of unreliable bandwith: when I've had trouble signing on elsewhere the Forum has been accessible and usable. It's been admirably simple to use (very important for folks more focused on music than advanced IT skills).

And while there has been the odd kerfuffle and the occasional bona fide Forumite who has felt they've unfairly been the brunt of Moderator's actions, I myself think it is generally extremely well moderated (and self-moderated to a degree). That - I hopefully assume - won't change with the new technology. smile.gif

party1.gif
happyBirthday.gif

Many thanks Katica - we hope and anticipate that the new version will prove to be similarly user-friendly after everyone has made the initial adjustment!

#22 Car Expert

Car Expert

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31656 posts
  • Member: 3680
  • UK - rural North Norfolk\East Anglia. Lincoln 104 miles. Ipswich 66 miles. Oxford 193 miles. Lewes 199 miles.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 13:03

yay.gif Looking forward to it! We've had this design for 8 years now, so it's a long time coming! I still remember what it used to look like before that (without the dark blue background!).

The FAQs are going to be somewhat outdated if they aren't already...laugh.gif

Car Expert

#23 Attacca

Attacca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Member: 6080
  • East Of The Sun, West Of The Moon

Posted 02 October 2013 - 21:11

QUOTE(EdGJ @ Sep 30 2013, 05:59 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Aquarelle @ Sep 30 2013, 04:18 PM) View Post

Oh well, just as I had got the hang of things! Story of my life! However if it's better then it will be worth a bit of re- learning. Fingers crossed!

Hi Aquarelle,

I've been playing around with the new version and it shouldn't be too radically different in terms of the basic user experience (most of the changes are enhancements to existing features rather than entirely 'new' features). It should, if anything, prove easier rather than more difficult to work with, but I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how people find it!

Thanks,

Ed

Easier... my computer-unfriendly befuddled brain likes the sound of that. biggrin.gif

#24 JME

JME

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Member: 81241

Posted 03 October 2013 - 14:36

Dear EdJG,
Not directly relevant to the upgrade, but on an indirectly related topic: any chance of restarting the 'Ask the Chief Examiner' section, which seems to have fallen into disuse? If the chief examiner no longer has time then we understand, in which case the section may as well be discontinued. (although it may still be useful to have access to the archived responses). Thank you.

#25 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • London

Posted 03 October 2013 - 17:26

QUOTE(JME @ Oct 3 2013, 03:36 PM) View Post

Dear EdJG,
Not directly relevant to the upgrade, but on an indirectly related topic: any chance of restarting the 'Ask the Chief Examiner' section, which seems to have fallen into disuse? If the chief examiner no longer has time then we understand, in which case the section may as well be discontinued. (although it may still be useful to have access to the archived responses). Thank you.

Yes, we're looking at this too as I'm conscious it's not been updated in quite some time!

#26 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17682 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:31

Would it be opportune to delet the vast numbe rof members who havent been on for say 3 years or more ?

#27 JudithJ

JudithJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts
  • Member: 3307

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:43

Is this upgrade likely to fix the flood control issue?

#28 Edwardo

Edwardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Member: 4759
  • Gloucestershire

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:55

QUOTE(EdGJ @ Oct 1 2013, 10:02 AM) View Post

QUOTE(linda.ff @ Sep 30 2013, 09:59 PM) View Post

I suppose there's no chance of a spell-checker, is there?

This comes from the queen of typo, Princess Becca-Sue (as in becasue I'm worth it!)

A spell-checker is actually built into the Google Chrome browser as standard - if you use that to access the forums and misspell something you'll see the squiggly red line (of Microsoft Word fame) under the rogue word!

And Chrome is a much better browser than IE, assuming that's what you're using (statistically fairly likely).

#29 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • London

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:16

QUOTE(fsharpminor @ Oct 4 2013, 09:31 AM) View Post

Would it be opportune to delet the vast numbe rof members who havent been on for say 3 years or more ?

Several members have been known to return after breaks of a few years and we're hopeful that the upgrade may persuade some of them to return - I don't think we would want to deny them the opportunity, at least not at this stage!

QUOTE(JudithJ @ Oct 4 2013, 12:43 PM) View Post

We're able to tweak the settings, though we have to be cautious for obvious reasons - could I open up a question to everyone and ask if the current settings are proving particularly problematic?

#30 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6177 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 04 October 2013 - 15:43

QUOTE(EdGJ @ Oct 4 2013, 01:16 PM) View Post

QUOTE(JudithJ @ Oct 4 2013, 12:43 PM) View Post

We're able to tweak the settings, though we have to be cautious for obvious reasons - could I open up a question to everyone and ask if the current settings are proving particularly problematic?

I find it problematic. I navigate round the threads quite quickly and often find a few I want to reply to but find myself staring at the screen for 30 seconds between replies. Even setting it to 10 seconds would be more palatable. I know that 30 seconds isn't a great deal of time in the grand scheme of things, but if we are talking purely from a user experience point of view and not philosophy ("don't be so impatient"), it's really not great.