Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6818 posts
  • Member: 6007
  • France

Posted 30 July 2020 - 12:46

Introduction to the 2nd cat today who has come in severaL times and is hissing and growling but slightly less than the other one.
I'm currently sitting on the bed with 2nd cat beside me and kitten down the other end.
How long does the hissing/growling stage go on for?

#557 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8401 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:15

Oh dear! I know all about the hissing and growling. In my experience the nastiest part lasts a few days. It gradually settles and becomes sporadic and usually - unless you have a couple who hate each other like my Edwin and Grey Puss -  it stops altogether. Don't worry too much Roseau. It usually sounds far worse than it actually is.

Even Edwin and Grey Puss have the occasional truce - or one leaves home for a couple of days. Edwin returned this morning after being absent since Tuesday evening. 

#558 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6818 posts
  • France

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:46

The other problem is that I'm supposed to be going to the UK the last 2 weeks on August. My 2 cats had already been booked into a cattery in a double pen. I don't think the kitten could go in with them. I just phoned the cattery and they do have space but although they are willing to take him with only the first vaccination but are insisting he ne neutered and I think he is too young. The vet wouldn't do my two until they were 6 months old, although I know in the UK they do them younger

#559 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8401 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 13:41

Yes, my vet also said 6 months for Indy and Pantheère. Could you get your vet to explain to the cattery that your kitten doesn't need to be neutered before 6 months and that it isn't advisable? I can't see the problem because if he is in a pen on his own he won't be meeting any female cats and in any case he won't be s-e-x-ually mature so there is no risk even if he did. He won't be spraying or yowling either.

#560 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6818 posts
  • France

Posted 02 August 2020 - 21:49

I don't see the problem either! I left my older two when they were kittens in 2 different catteries last summer and neither required them to be neutered at under 6 months, they just wanted them vaccinated.

Unfortunately those catteries are not possible for the weeks I want. I've used this one for my previous cat several times and was happy with them. I was worried they would be full, I really didn't think him not being neutered would be a problem.

He is still trying very hard to make friends with the other two and they are trying to prétend he doesn't exist!

I can't decide whether to let him out of the bedroom or not. The way my house is it's basically just the bedroom or three floors plus half the basement and the garden (the garden is theoretically cat proof which is why I don't know how he got in). He would very much like to come out of the bedroom.

#561 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8401 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 22:21

I imagine by now he has convinced you to let him out. Oliver has convinced me that he is now big enough to go in and out of the garden without supervision.We have also fallen into an evening routine. I walk round the garden and am accompanied by the dog and most of the cats. Oliver, Indy and Panthère and Douchka the dog chase each other around, ambush each other and generally have a great time. Oliver now mostly comes when he is called. He can also now climb trees and when I had cut all the brambles down managed to find a way into the neighbour's garden. There was no way I could get him back but he found his own way. He is a very enterprising kitten.

Tell us how you are getting on with yours roseau. Has he got a name?

#562 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6818 posts
  • France

Posted 06 August 2020 - 13:16

He managed to get out the bedroom door a few days ago and decided he wasn't that brave after all and hid under a book shelf. It took me ages to coax him out and he was quite happy to go back in the bedroom. Today he thinks he would like to go out again but he has an appointment at the vet tomorrow afternoon do I'm not going to let him have the run of the house until after that in case I can't find him.

One cat is pretending he doesn't exist. The other one comes in and hisses at him and then goes out.

#563 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:20

Cheeky boy!  I hope the vet goes well.

We are back from the vet today - last week we had post-op follow-up, and that was with a vet who wasn't the one who did the op.  She was happy with how it was going, but thought a second follow-up worth having.  Today was the second follow-up, and by happy chance it was with the vet who did the op.  Slinky was apparently 'very calm and well-behaved' when it was examined, the stitches were removed [they were supposed to dissolve but weren't quite managing it], and the vet herself was delighted to be able to see how well the whole procedure has gone.  So we're all happy, and Slinky is rapidly getting her fur back!

It is currently 32C at our nearest official weather station, so I will naturally be worrying and Googling 'how to keep cats cool' while she herself spends the afternoon lounging in the greenhouse :o

#564 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8401 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 14:39

Good news Maizie. slinky will now no doubt go on from strength to strength.

Very hot here too. I have confined oliver to the house as it is too hot for a small kitten to go out. He will have to wait until this evening. He is spending the time indoors ripping up important bits of paper and annoying the dog.

#565 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8401 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 09:14

Yesterday it was stifflingly hot and I felt too unwell with the heat to do anything. But the dustbin had to be put out so just before sunset I dragged myself and the bin up to the gate. The dog followed and so did Oliver. I went out onto the road and carefully shut the gate behind me and manoeuvered the bin into place. On turning round I saw one obedient dog waiting patiently inside the gate and one disobedient kitten emerging form the space betweeh the gate and the wall to which it is fixed. Oliver shot off down the road, tail aloft and not a care in the world. My big kittens have never done anything so reckless. I am afraid he will come to a bad end if he doesn't learn to fear - he is afraid of absolutely nothing. Despite the heat I had to set of after him and caught up with him as he investigated a neighbours's gate behind which reside two large and unfriendly dogs. I carried him back - he was most indignant.

#566 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18262 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 21 August 2020 - 13:03

Ooh, naughty boy !

#567 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5359 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 21 August 2020 - 13:08

I've been a cat-keeper for 40 years and I've never had one understand what a fence is for. The current one only observes them now as an insurmountable obstacle because she's too old to jump over them.

#568 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8401 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 06:46

Six out of seven cats all indoors and asking me why I can't turn off the rain. Oliver in particular says that if I don't he will rip every cardboard box I possess to pieces. (The dog is hiding.)

#569 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8401 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 16:23

How did he know? I decided that this weekend it was time to do the autumn worming. As I am currently overworked I decided that I would forget if I didn't put the cat medicine box on the kitchen table. I left it there while I went to school. I returned to find the box on the floor, together with its contents - widely scattered - and Oliver trying to "kill" a packet of antibiotics. He has a perfectly good wind up mouse he could "kill" but I suppose he considers himself to be too old now for kitten toys. Just let him wait until my Toussaint holiday three weeks from now. He will be taken to the vet to get, as my partner puts it "snipped." I don't suppose he will even notice.

And he has obviously told the other cats what was in the box as their presence in the kitchen so far this weekend has been limited to mealtimes - followed by a quick exit through the cat flap - which Oliver has also now learnt to use.

#570 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:40

Clearly he has learnt to read!