#511 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7806 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:05

I am going to see if i can organize a compromise. If the association will take on board the little tom I will keep the female - they are always more difficult to place and she is the more timid of the two. We have never gone above 5 cats. Back in August we lost one - Brynner, you will remember - so were down to 4 and frankly I felt more comfortable with that though I was very sad to lose him. My ideal number is 3 but I haven't been at 3 for a long time. So if I keep one of the kittens we will be back to 5 which is the absolute limit. fingers crossed please.

#512 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:25

OK I will cross my fingers, and I admire your kind soul. My friend in Turkey has a similar problem, with unwanted kittens being dumped on her doorstep after dark. She feeds a floating population of around 15 - many of them are semi-feral, but they have individual feeding bowls! Only the older ones come inside. She also walks round the neighbourhood and feeds a few other abandoned cats, living in the local ruined houses.
 Recently there was a kitten with a dodgy leg, christened Olympus ( Oh-limp-puss, geddit?) and the brother was called Hercules. My friend was getting up in the night to drip-feed him, but he was a real fighter and survived against the odds.

All the best with relocating Panthere ( great name) and at least you won't have a mouse problem :).

#513 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7806 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 13:45

I'm at last back with an update. Helen, I think your friend must be a lovely person and also have a sense of humour! I do hope Olympuss and Hercules are doing well. I have found absolutely no one interested in taking the kittens - or even just one of them. The association I contacted has not rung back and several people  including the veterinary nurse - have told me that they have too many cats to cope with. As I type this Panthère and Indy  are exploring my study, having shown signs of wanting to get out of the bedroom. You have no idea how interesting a pile of post its can be!  and as for pens and pencils - well they do roll nicely, don't they? Looks as if I am well and truly stuck. I even found myself at the vet's buying anti- worm spot on and asking how soon I could have them sterilized.

#514 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7806 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 20:10

A colleague at school discovered that the cat belonging to the mother of a little boy in her class had died a couple of weeks ago. She suggested I asked her if she would like one of the kittens. Despite the fact that I showed the mother   a video of the kittens at play she said she couldn't cope with replacing her much loved cat at the moment and in any case already has two others and a dog.  I understood, of course. So I'm still stuck and the longer I have them the harder it will be to part with them. I'm on holiday next week so will have the time to let them explore the rest of the house. They are definitely bored with the bedroom and the study!

#515 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7806 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 16:06

Indy and Panthère have now had their first vaccination. Before he vaccinated them I asked the vet to test them for FIV and FELV. They were both negative. I now have their health record books. I think I am in too deep to come out! Besides they are giving my bedridden companion  great pleasure! Our very nice vet is obviously highly amused at my situation - I expect he is counting up the money I will have to spend at his surgery over the years! I'm off to the Little Critters thread now with further tales of animal woes!

#516 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7806 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:56

Well, another little update on the orphan kittens who are definitely not orphans any more. Since they were wormed and vaccinated they have gone from strength to strength. They have gained weight, are growing fast, know their names and are confident and relate well to me and my companion. They get on well with the dog and and respectfully avoid the adult cats. Mornings are still spent in the nursery (my bedroom) as I do need some kitten free time. In the afternoon they have the run of the house and around 8 or 9 in the evening get put back upstairs so that I can finish the day in peace! When I and the dog go to bed they get their last snack of the day and a game.Then it's lights out and they settle with me and the dog on the (fortunately) large enough bed. There is a lot of purring and many cuddles before everyone falls asleep. Tthey wake me around 7 - and it all starts again. 

Last Monday was a beautiful day here so i tried an outing in the garden but they were not ready. I put them in the travelling basket (I am training them to go in and out of this) and carried them down to the patio door. I put the basket down just outside the door and opened it. After a few hesitant minutes they came out, took one look and the big out doors and scuttled back inside. Nothing would induce them to come out. It has been raining hard ever since so I haven't had a second attempt yet.

#517 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7806 posts

Posted Today, 09:31

Since I last posted the kittens have had a successful outing on the patio when we had five minutes without rain! They didn't go very far and returned inside quite quickly. However since then Indy has shown a lot of interest in the doors and windows; she hasn't yet discovered the cat flap. Yesterday she escaped out on to the patio and it was a lovely moment watching her explore and become increasingly confident. I stayed out with her as i don't think unsupervised outings are on the agenda yet. Panthère didn't follow. He has developped the habit of letting his sister tackle anything new first!